full range 6x9s in front doors and 8" subs in rear doors for mids?

dionysus

Ok, so I've been reading and compairing non stop since I posted this and this is a BUDGET build, alot of work and a little budget. But I wanted to match the mids and highs but not with super crappy stuff, I still want quality even on a budget. So for the front doors I'm going RE Audio RE-69FR 6x9s and for the back doors I'm going with the RE Audio REX8d4. Sounding ok so far for a budget build?

Subs in the doors are a really bad idea due to all the rattle your bound to get even with massively deadened doors. Your best bet is a pair of 8's in a small sealed enclosure and a nice set of 6.5" comps up front and some nice amps to power them with. Yes it can be done on a budget as many on here can attest to.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Subs in the doors are a really bad idea due to all the rattle your bound to get even with massively deadened doors. Your best bet is a pair of 8's in a small sealed enclosure and a nice set of 6.5" comps up front and some nice amps to power them with. Yes it can be done on a budget as many on here can attest to.

Thank you for the advice, I'm not a "noob" to car audio but I am pretty new to bigger more custom builds like customizing door panels and running more than 2 amps n stuff. Anyways the 3 way 6x9s wouldn't do good in the front doors? I plan on fiberglassing speaker pods in the front door panels one day that's all out of budget for a lil while so I figured the 6x9s would be solid for awhile. Now the 8s I don't have anywhere to put enclosures like boxes other than the cargo area where my subs will be. Or were you meaning like building a enclosure on the panels so the subs not in the actual door? And yes budget builds can easily be quality you just have to put in the time to check out all options instead of just jumping on the cheapest brands just cause your on a budget!

Oh and amps, I picked up a Rockford fosgate punch x200.4 for the 6x9s or whatevers gonna be in the front doors yesterday on Craigslist for $20! Yes it works too lol. And I was swapping some stuff with a friend for a Rockford fosgate T400.2 that I was going to run on the 8s. I'm also getting that amp at a steal too, the equivalent of about $80

Nice score on the amp.

I guess what i'm trying to say is to keep it as simple as possible cause the more things you add into the mix the harder it becomes to get it to sound right and sound good, and your forever tweaking it to get to that sweet spot.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Nice score on the amp.

I guess what i'm trying to say is to keep it as simple as possible cause the more things you add into the mix the harder it becomes to get it to sound right and sound good, and your forever tweaking it to get to that sweet spot.

Would 6" subs be any better in the back doors? I've never heard 6" subs so I don't know how much rattle they'd produce in there. I just want to make sure I have enough mid bass, not as worried about highs as I'm going to fiberglass tweeter pods on each h pillar, I have a 15" killin Kicker l7 now but no amp anymore but I'm thinking at least the Rockford T1500.1d for it but I plan on upgrading to a 18" DC XL so that's why I was kind of shooting high on the mids. Again I REALLY appreciate you sharing your wisdom with me!

I should have been more specific I was asking if 6.5" or even 8" mid bass drivers would work in the back doors, didn't know if the difference between a sub and a mid range bass driver would make it work

Depending on what 6" or 8" midbass you are looking at, you may not see much difference. 8" midbass will usually play lower down and may have more output, but will have more depth and can be harder to install. The 6" midbass should be a little easier to fit and maybe even build an enclosure for, but again all this depends on the drivers you pick. Either way you go, deaden the door and pay close attention to the x over point. Rear mounted midbass can work if you dont pick to high of a xover point. If you get decent 6 x 9's up front, I would be looking to go lower than 500. I personally wouldnt go over 200, but you have to play with it to see how it sounds. Rattles and high xover points will pull you ear back to the midbass and take away from your front stage.

All said and done, if you can get the door deadened go find a nice 8" that can do free air in a door. If your install isnt that great, look at the 6".

Depending on what 6" or 8" midbass you are looking at, you may not see much difference. 8" midbass will usually play lower down and may have more output, but will have more depth and can be harder to install. The 6" midbass should be a little easier to fit and maybe even build an enclosure for, but again all this depends on the drivers you pick. Either way you go, deaden the door and pay close attention to the x over point. Rear mounted midbass can work if you dont pick to high of a xover point. If you get decent 6 x 9's up front, I would be looking to go lower than 500. I personally wouldnt go over 200, but you have to play with it to see how it sounds. Rattles and high xover points will pull you ear back to the midbass and take away from your front stage.

All said and done, if you can get the door deadened go find a nice 8" that can do free air in a door. If your install isnt that great, look at the 6".

Thank you for your help! I think I'm going to go just go with some Rockford 6x9s in the rear doors the have 6x8s stock so ill have slight Modding to make them fit but that's easy. I was planning on going 6.5s in the front there are 6x8s in there stock so I still haven't ruled out 6x8s in the front, just not too many good 6x8 options. This is a budget build and I still have to get a sub amp and build a box for the sub I got so I figured I'd go a little simpler on mids n highs for now and when I have more budget upgrade my sub and I can glass some door pods for some 8s

Archived