Second Skin Audio

i need some advice before i recone and rebuild

knubs

hello everyone, i just smoked my DC xl 15 and i am debating on whether to recone as a 15 or change it to a 12. my 15 has to fire upward for space reasons. a 12 could fire backwards though, and i know from testing with a 12 in a sealed box that firing to the back is the loudest for my car. do you guys think that i could potentially get a 12 louder than the 15 with the same power because of the orientation difference?

also what do you guys think about porting my box through the back seat so that there is a hole like where a center arm rest would be in some cars back seats? my back seats don't fold down so that is what i was thinking to overcome that. i know a lot of people fire through the rear deck so that they can load off the back window. would that be a better option? will i run into loading issues just firing the port through the seat and into the cabin?

Thanks you for any and all input! i really want to hit 140 after i recone and build another box.

EDIT- here is more info of the car and set up.

the car is a 2002 mitsubishi lancer es and i upgraded the alt to a 180amp. the sub is a dc xl 15 in a 3.5 cubic foot box tuned to 35hz. it fires upward because i cant fit it facing back and the port fires to the back. my amp is a hifonics brutus 2400 and the sub is wired to one ohm. i also have a kinetik hc 2400 in the back. my trunk is short and overall pretty small. i have about 14.5 inches of height to work with, 28 inches width, and 30 inches for the depth.

deffinetly fire the port thru the rear seat if at all possible and if u dont mind chopping your rear seat up, the only key detail is make certain that there is NO leaks around the port going thru the seat and its nice and tight around the edges, no real diff in doing it opposed to the rear deck

2010 Ram 1500, Pioneer deh80prs,2-12" RE SXXv2's downfired in vinal wrapped center console box, kenwood 6x9's in the doors on a mtx 4 channel, viper 5901, big 3, kinetik 2000

thanks Tex. i dont mind chopping the seat. i guarantee i'm going to be the last owner of my car so i will make everything the way i want it and not worry.

any one have any input on the 12 or 15 inch dilemma ?

deffinetly fire the port thru the rear seat if at all possible and if u dont mind chopping your rear seat up, the only key detail is make certain that there is NO leaks around the port going thru the seat and its nice and tight around the edges, no real diff in doing it opposed to the rear deck

it can be a big differences from where the port is faced, in my personal truck its a .5 difference switching from port up to port to the side

Considering

No information as to anything but the type and size of sub

No one can answer any of you questions with any certance

You also need to no why and how you smoked what you had

Down or up firing will not make it ware out any faster unless you never had enough clearance for the cone and surround,

Car

Power

And some measurement

+ old box measurement

Will help

it can be a big differences from where the port is faced, in my personal truck its a .5 difference switching from port up to port to the side

i tried both ways particularly in 2 different 1990 lesabre's,no difference in that vehicle from the driver seat, depends souly on kind of car

2010 Ram 1500, Pioneer deh80prs,2-12" RE SXXv2's downfired in vinal wrapped center console box, kenwood 6x9's in the doors on a mtx 4 channel, viper 5901, big 3, kinetik 2000

Considering

No information as to anything but the type and size of sub

No one can answer any of you questions with any certance

You also need to no why and how you smoked what you had

Down or up firing will not make it ware out any faster unless you never had enough clearance for the cone and surround,

Car

Power

And some measurement

+ old box measurement

Will help

i know why my 15 fried. it was a friend of mine playing with my equipment doing things i would have never done... i was driving at triple digit speeds and wasn't focused on the stereo or my friend though.

also i'm not worried about it wearing out with different orientations. i'm worried about the major sound difference between firing a sub up vs back in my trunk. i tested with a 12" in a sealed box firing every direction and back was definitely the loudest. im not sure how reliable that test is, but it let me know something at least.

my car is a 2002 mitsubishi lancer es. it has a short trunk so i cant fit a box for a 15 facing back which is why the sub is facing upward right now.

my sub is a 15" DC xl 15 m2 running off a hifonics brutus 2400 at 1 ohm with a kinetik hc 2400 battery in the back and a 180amp alternator. the box is 3.5 cubic feet and is tuned to 35hz and peaks in my car at 41hz with a term lab. i hit a 137db with this set up. it sounded great, but i want louder.

i have 28 inches width and ~14.5 inches height and 30 inches deep in the trunk. my back seats dont fold down.

here is a link to the build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164849-lancer-dc-trunk-install-137dbfor-now-lots-of-pics/

Archived