Sonic Electronix

Best enclosure type for a SQ build?

Do you want a system that hurts your chest or a system that blows wind? That's the big question in a nutshell.

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

I think just as important as a good sub stage is having a strong mid stage as well. Like Sealed chambers in kicks or doors. Id want effective mids down to at least 80 Hz, maybe slightly lower.

If your serious about SQ worry about your front stage and not so much sub stage. You haven't even listed what vehicle your using or any info on your front stage. Good SQ would mean where your sub stage stops your mids pickup. You haven't given any info. Good luck getting an answer that will actually help you.

Absolutely ...

The whole Audiophile world revolves around your midrange and midbass ... everything else into you system is used to compliment you midrange and midbass ... This reasoning will come VERY clear when you get into the time alignment and Equalization process ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Randal: That's why Jacob is developing a line of SQ subs, SA's are awesome for daily but like you said, stiff suspension hurts responsiveness.

Yes, I've read this ... and very interested in the outcome

Would anything skar audio be good? like the MA8 or the VVX8?

No ... All skar is worried about is being loud and has not been in the business long enough to know anything about Sound Quality.

There's a dramatic difference between a good sounding daily and an SQ setup. Now it sounds like you want a good sounding daily lol

Yes there is ... although I find it alot easier to treat a well build Sound Quality setup like a daily system than to start out with a daily system and try to make it a Sound Quality system when you pull up to a show or event ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Ported *can* sound just as good (or better) than sealed if done properly. It's just more difficult to get right. And not to get too deep, but transient response is a pretty big deal; and the more complex the design and the more energy devices, the worse it usually gets.

Absolutely ... You can't just "build an enclosure, slap some subs in, throw on an amplifier" and expect it to work properly ...

You have to do your homework and work with your vehicle's installation limitations and resonance to find out what your system will call for ... Nothing like trial and error !!!

Isobaric loading is lovely for SQ because of the natural cancelling of unwanted distortion. It will sound "funny" to a lot of people that are used to hearing that distortion though. And the boxes are tiny. But hardly noteworthy with today's small box drivers.

IMO, nothing does SQ like infinite baffle.

Ok ... If we are all true audiophile technicians here, then you should MUST know that the absolute BEST enclousre for Sound Quality is Aperiodic cell membrane enclosures ... and it takes a VERY Specific installation application to be able to use this enclosure ...

There are different ways to do Isoberic ... and If you build them correctly, they will not sound funny at all ...

All I get from my demos are people saying that the bass goes sub sonic very well, plays well into the high 130s and low 140s and continues to stay clear and dynamic, and my vehicle has very little to no rattles in it and the enclosure is so well mounted to the vehicle that the bass is much more aggressive and dramatic than what they normally hear in Sound Quality or daily systems ...

... and what makes Isoberic efficient is that you build an enclosure for a single driver and in reality you are using two drivers for your application ...

Now as far as Infinite baffle goes ... If you only use your trunk for that particular application ... IT WORKS GREAT !!!

Mostly used in company built cars that only gets used at shows / events / demos ...

But if you use your trunk every day (groceries, golf clubs, work papers, tools, clothes, etc ...) the airspace will never stay the same and will give you different reactions and different times ... and I'm not real sure how this application would work on a truck ???

So if anyone was to pick a SQ driver and box combo what would you do?

I'd like to see detailed pics of your vehicle before I gave a real recomendation ...

but for the most part ... most likely sealed or ported and tuned ...

I have (2) 15's IB in the trunk of my daily. Golf clubs, groceries, the occasional body to dispose of :) are often added.

I don't really notice a huge change in response when I have stuff in the trunk. Perhaps I could see it on the RTA, but for scootin' about town... it's a non issue.

And I went IB BECAUSE I wanted my trunk back. I was running an iso pair of 12's in a PR alignment. It was only ~ 1cf and it seemed like it took up the whole damn trunk. So, now I have my trunk back and it's just as loud but lower, flatter and just plain sounds better. Output is pretty darned good for ~ 500w. The car does almost 140dB @ 24hz.

I've heard mixed reviews on the aperiodic membrane from a couple guys who's opinion I value so I hadn't even considered it. I may give it another look if you say they're that good. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

To the OP... did I miss it or have you given a budget? And how much power do you have?

To kind of shed some light for you OP, briefly:

A 4th order bandpass has a steeper frequency rolloff, ie potentially less useable bandwidth. A 6th, same story. A typical vented enclosure has about a 12 dB/octave rolloff and a 4th will have a rolloff around 24 db/octave. So you can get some GREAT output in a more narrow bandwidth from using a 4th order bandpass enclosure.

Finding a sub that fits the parameters for a sealed box will provide the most linear flat response, but in theory you can get the extra 3 db benefit from a vented cabinet.

CablGuy(Randal) is very knowledgeable about SQ, therefore listen and take notes. Seriously, write it down and commit it to memory. He has a lovely isobaric setup that I've heard does a marvelous job at reproducing sound with deadly accuracy and clarity. I hope to sit in his truck one day with to soak it in.

Vented enclosures can give you great range if designed well and built properly. Having good cone control and an enclosure that can perform IN the vehicle is very important.

Since when do 4th order bandpass enclosures have a 24db roll off? You got your info backwards. 4th order bandpass enclosures have a 12db roll off (hence why you can usually play/load lower end freqs and still be tuned at 45-50hz) and typical ported enclosures or 4th order bass reflex enclosures have 24db roll offs.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

So if anyone was to pick a SQ driver and box combo what would you do?

I'd like to see detailed pics of your vehicle before I gave a real recomendation ...

but for the most part ... most likely sealed or ported and tuned ...

Thank you so much for helping me out man youre awesome! Ill post a picture of what I have to work with when I get by a computer, im going off my phone as of now. But its a 2011 suzuki kizashi. Not much room in the trunk thats where im debating between 1-3 drivers, and sealed or ported and what kind of enclosure! I have a pair of sa12s as of now just for some sound, but I want to make this car look great and still have a FUNCTION TRUNK. ill post pics later today, thanks again man..

Archived