Alternator Short

Hey guys, just wanna share what happened to me today.

For the last month or two my car has been running roughly, RPMs going crazy up hills and basically dieing going down. Sometimes stalling while parked. So last week i brought my car into the shop to get it checked out. The mechanic determined it was a bad fuel pump and would cost me 800$ to fix. A few days pass and I go to get my car and this didnt help at all, in fact it was worse. I made it about 50 feet away and my car just kept stalling. I popped the hood just looking around and nudged my alternator to battery wire and i heard a little crackle. So then I pulled it up and it start sparking off my engine! A few months back I got a high output alt put in and the shop that did it basically clamped the 0 guage wire i installed to the motor block and my alternator has been periodically shorting for a month. I did the big 3 on this car like 2 years ago now, so it was definitely the shop. The wire had 2 inches of just bare wire that was touching my engine. And now im out 800$ for what was probably a perfectly fine fuel pump.

Moral of the story: Trust no one. And maybe fuse that wire!

On the bright side I'll probably never need a new fuel pump I guess haha

Dang man that's lame.

This is why I do everything I can myself. I know what's done and I know it's done right

damn...that's why I make my mechanic save my old parts, give me receipts, show and explain how he did it. Alternators are A easy install, it's something you should of done meng!

I would of done it but you should see this damn car man! 99 ford contour v6, it's so cramped in there. The alter is like under the engine. I wouldve had to take A shitload of the car apart and I just dont have the means to do it. And I figured it would be a breeze for this guy haha.

Maybe I should invest in a car lift :shrug:

Dang man that's lame.

This is why I do everything I can myself. I know what's done and I know it's done right

Same here, I just don't mess with my front end...Everything else is A breeze.

EDIT: ^^^^^ You don't need A lift hahah, spend $100 On a 4 ton jack kit and call it A day.

Even if you don't do the work yourself, it's always a good idea to check over everything your self. Whether it's to check for people being a scumbag, human error, or just to make sure it's done how you want :)

Dang man that's lame.

Same here, I just don't mess with my front end...Everything else is A breeze.

EDIT: ^^^^^ You don't need A lift hahah, spend $100 On a 4 ton jack kit and call it A day.

Where did you get your jack?

I dunno man, I pitty anyone with this car who wants to change the alt haha, it's basically enclosed on all sides by pipes and tubes that I have no experience with. Makes me wish got the sunfire i was looking at instead, the alt is basically sitting there asking to be swapped out for something good lol

Even if you don't do the work yourself, it's always a good idea to check over everything your self. Whether it's to check for people being a scumbag, human error, or just to make sure it's done how you want :)

True man, thats the only thing ever gotten done(electric wise) by someone else, I kinda want to bring the wire down and show him, but what good will it do. Might as well move on, and never go back to that shop again lol

$800 isn't chump change for a non-fix. Take the car back to them and get your money back, I would make a big deal out of that.. I would have done that on day one first driving away from the shop (actually I would have done the work myself - but if i were in your shoes).

Think, you bring the car in and complain about X

Mech does diagnostic and says the problem is Y

He also says it will cost you Z to repair Y so that X problem goes away

You paid Z they fix Y but X remains. Something is wrong with that equation.

If you brought the car in and said "replace my fuel pump" that is a different story but if they did the diag and they were wrong (really this means to me that they didn't actually diagnose anything and they likely didn't even test drive your car) then they need to finish the repair or eat the bill.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived