Sonic Electronix

mids & high install problem

I installed the front and rear doors. My problem is that the front and rear left doors are speakers are working, but are MUCH quieter than both right doors.

I have 14 awg by 2 stinger hpm twister wire, and i really had to force it through the boot to get it into the door. could i have split the wire or something? I tested everything i could think of at the crossovers, and i don't think that its a problem with signals coming from my amp (switched wires from amp but problem still persisted at the doors).

not really sure how i can check the wires themselves? or the connections to the speakers? the wires were "quick disconnected" or whatever those terminals are called to the speakers. and they were a real pain to get on the speaker terminals.

speakers are Image Dynamics CTX65cs and CTX65 coaxials. cars a 2013 wrx.

amps a polk audio PA4000D.4

open to any ideas/suggestions

I had had that with my focal speakers.. But the JL mid in the back was blow and when I turned it up it would cut out all together. Sometimes crackle and make my other speakers sound bad too.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

so i pulled out my DMM and check some of the ohm readings at different places in my system.

The two left speaker wires, from the amp are reading 0.4 ohms (negative and positive of one wire), when checking against ground they were ~2 ohms if i remember

The two right speaker wires read ~4 ohms (negative and positive of one wire), i didn't check against ground.

I checked at the crossovers:

the right tweeter was surprisingly low, around ~1 ohm even though it seems to be working.

the right woofer read ~ 4 ohms

the left tweeter read about ~0.8 ohms

the left woofer read about ~0.8 ohms as well

So what blows me away is i literally just hooked the system up this morning and it sounded this way from the get go (after setting the gains with an oscope and test tones i got from this site some post about "tunes and tones")

Are the speakers blown or is the wire being grounded somehow? Or is there a way i can check the actual speaker itself? I have a DMM and an o-scope

bench test the speakers to see if the problem is still there. Then report back.

Take them out of the car and connect them a external audio source(bench test)

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

there is something either blown or wired incorrectly. try pulling out the woofers and tweeters and test them outside of the car. if it reads the same outside the car, there is probably something wrong with the speakers. if it reads correctly, either something is wired wrong, or you have some split wires somewhere.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Archived