Second Skin Audio

ported vs. three chamber single reflex bandpass

satish1015

im still trying to grasp the concept behind "orders" if anyone wants to help with that lol

You're better off with a ported for both. Unless you need like, a ski pass blowthrough or something.

Side note... I find it interesting that a shop would "generally" do bandpass boxes.

I would actually need them to cut a hole in the middle to vent the bass into the cabin from what i saw on bmw forums because the trunk is sealed tight... i dont think thats the same as a blowthrough though..

this is a well known shop in brooklyn and they work on high end builds, so i can believe it when they say that.. ive seen pics of lots of their builds.. but never heard one of the high end ones

Depends on how much trunk space your willing to lose for your sub stage, sealed will be the smallest of all the enclosures and will only get larger with each different type you move up to.

definitely dont want a sealed one loll.. as far as space wise, i don't mind losing most of the trunk.. just need a little space to put small things like a couple of groceries or something lol

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

Ah. Well... if your seats don't fold down, then the bandpass for a single might actually be a better option.

how come? even if i make a hole??

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

Ah. Well... if your seats don't fold down, then the bandpass for a single might actually be a better option.

Because you can port through that hole. One of the big advantages of utilizing a BP in this manner is that you can direct all of the pressure though the cut. If you do ported, you'll have a ton of pressure trapped in the trunk just bouncing around trying to rip the trunk lid off the hinges.

Just as an example... when I had my Lexus, I had (2) 10's in a standard ported box doing 143's. I did a BP for them and ported it through the armrest and picked up +4db on the same amp. That's a lot of gain just by changing the alignment.

Because you can port through that hole. One of the big advantages of utilizing a BP in this manner is that you can direct all of the pressure though the cut. If you do ported, you'll have a ton of pressure trapped in the trunk just bouncing around trying to rip the trunk lid off the hinges.

Just as an example... when I had my Lexus, I had (2) 10's in a standard ported box doing 143's. I did a BP for them and ported it through the armrest and picked up +4db on the same amp. That's a lot of gain just by changing the alignment.

Sorry, I understood that part lol.. when i had my volvo i had a ported box, but the seats dropped and i could hear the difference in the bass immediately.. what i was confused about was why can't i do the two woofers in the bandpass if i have the space? does it have something to do with the woofers?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

oh..... yea..... lol.....nevermind then! so would that 1 4th order hit harder than the 2 in a ported box??

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

Oh... you can totally do both. I just didn't know if you had 7-8 cubes and were willing to cut a 100sq in hole in a BMW.

oh..... yea..... lol.....nevermind then! so would that 1 4th order hit harder than the 2 in a ported box with a ski port to vent?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T

Oh... you can totally do both. I just didn't know if you had 7-8 cubes and were willing to cut a 100sq in hole in a BMW.

oh..... yea..... lol.....nevermind then! so would that 1 4th order hit harder than the 2 in a ported box with a ski port to vent?

It's difficult to say for sure, but my guess is... if done properly, yes. BP's are usually in the neighborhood of +3bd (or more) from a standard ported so that'll make up the cone area difference. And you save your trunk a whole lot of pain. Even if it's comparable, that alone is worth it to me. And you have no worries about shit bouncing around in the trunk and damaging the subs or leaving room off the back wall for the port. You also have more options for mounting amps and stuff. It's a win-win in my book.

Archived