Engine running hot but Gauge is fine?

Dont think that car has OBD2, he said it was a 94 IIRC 95 is when OBD2 was required.

There are several things that could cause this, first you need to verify that the gauge is working properly. Next I would make sure there aren't any air pockets in the cooling system stopping it from circulating properly. Then as stated earlier flush the cooling system and ensure that you use the proper coolant ratio when you fill it up. Straight water and or straight coolant will not cool properly, there is a reason you have to mix it. Unless you purchase the premixed coolant you need to use distilled water, not just water out of the sink or hose.

If you have access to a ifrared (laser) thermometer you could start by seeing if you even have a problem, just don't point it at the exhaust manifold because it will give you crazy high readings.

Tbirds with the 4.6 started using obd2 in 94

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Dont think that car has OBD2, he said it was a 94 IIRC 95 is when OBD2 was required.

There are several things that could cause this, first you need to verify that the gauge is working properly. Next I would make sure there aren't any air pockets in the cooling system stopping it from circulating properly. Then as stated earlier flush the cooling system and ensure that you use the proper coolant ratio when you fill it up. Straight water and or straight coolant will not cool properly, there is a reason you have to mix it. Unless you purchase the premixed coolant you need to use distilled water, not just water out of the sink or hose.

If you have access to a ifrared (laser) thermometer you could start by seeing if you even have a problem, just don't point it at the exhaust manifold because it will give you crazy high readings.

Tbirds with the 4.6 started using obd2 in 94

I think all 4.6 cars have been obd2...

But I think that car has factory e-fans, so the motor is going to heat up quick, especially if the A/C is on. When I pulled the e-fans off my silverado, it took FOREVER to heat up to operating temp compared to when it had the silly e-fans.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Temp gauges either work or they dont. Only exception is if something is physically stopping the needle from moving. If the guage starts at fully cold, gets to running temp and holds there you are fine. Quit worrying. Engines get hot. Thats what they do.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

Normal op temp is around 190 , older motors tend to run a Lil hotter and some sixties stuff is designed to run in the 220 range cause of the leased fuel . Usually the hotter the more power I might make but as they say they always go before they blow . If you think yours is running abnormally hot put a temporary analog gauge in and keep an eye on it . There are things to do to combat against like red lines water wetter . It's actually a lubricant for the cooling system . Other things to keep in mind is that most comp controlled vehicles will carry two ECT. One for gauge and one for the ECM . If you have access monitor the ECM rendition of the temp VIA. Scan tool . Another reason for the motor to be hot but gauge normal is cavitation around the sensor . The sensor may read ambient but the actual coolant could be boiling . One overlooked part of the cooling sys is the rad cap . Most are rates to hold between 13-16 lbs preasure and for every 1 psi you can maintain it raises boiling point of coolant by 10 degrees . Rule of thumb is every year a cap is old it loses 1 psi . Things to look for If your motor is actually overheating is loss of power , pinging in high gear under light load . Make sure you rad is not being blocked by debris such as leaves paper anything . Flush your system good following the flushes recommended procedure . Flush heat core w water hose in both directions , completely drain system and refill to manufactures spec . After that for next couple mornings check and top off coolant if nessisary before start up. Hope this helps

Archived