Engine running hot but Gauge is fine?

Ok. So first off, I have 1994 Ford Thunderbird V8. Now I've noticed, especially lately, that my engine is running pretty hot. even after driving about a 1/2 mile to my friends house we had to wait for a long time until we didn't get burned by everything. Now the thing is, the temp gauge is always fine, never goes past halfway, and i recently topped off my coolant so that couldn't be the problem. well actually, idk, i'm not an expert. So my question is, is there any reason my engine would be running considerably hotter than it used too? And is there anything I can do about it?

Any help is better than no help. Thanks.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

"We had to wait a long time until we didnt get burned by anything"

That doesn't tell us anything....engines get hot lol

x2

if i drive my truck for more than 10min, i have to wait 45min to 2hrs depending on length just to let stuff cool down to the point where i dont melt my skin.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Check your thermostat lately? Checked all hoses? Flushed your coolant system?

Thermostat? No. Hoses seem to be fine, no leaks concerning the radiator. No, I wanted to go with my friend when he got his but I was working.

Get a scangauge or something like that so you can see what the actual temperature is

How do you know its running hot?

It's pretty much based off of how it's been since i've owned the car. And lately, it's been getting WAY hotter than it used to.

"We had to wait a long time until we didnt get burned by anything"

That doesn't tell us anything....engines get hot lol

I went 1/2 mile (if that even) to a friends house. IDK. In my opinion, it shouldnt have been that hot already.

Idk, I could just be blowing this out of proportion and everything is fine. But even my friends dad was surprised how hot it was. But it could just be my car.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

Dont think that car has OBD2, he said it was a 94 IIRC 95 is when OBD2 was required.

There are several things that could cause this, first you need to verify that the gauge is working properly. Next I would make sure there aren't any air pockets in the cooling system stopping it from circulating properly. Then as stated earlier flush the cooling system and ensure that you use the proper coolant ratio when you fill it up. Straight water and or straight coolant will not cool properly, there is a reason you have to mix it. Unless you purchase the premixed coolant you need to use distilled water, not just water out of the sink or hose.

If you have access to a ifrared (laser) thermometer you could start by seeing if you even have a problem, just don't point it at the exhaust manifold because it will give you crazy high readings.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Those motors are notorious for getting air trapped in the cooling system. I would change the thermostat flush all the coolant and when you fill the coolant up pull the heater hose off. fill till coolant flows freely from that and you should have all the air out of the system. Put the hose back on then top off rad and you should be good to go. If you can't get the heater hose off you can leave the t-stat and t-stat housing off to bleed the air out as well. Same thing when all air is out and coolant flows freely put back together fill rad and your good to go.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived