Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

plastidip a box?


jmfrb1

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was wondering if any of you have tried to plastidip a box yet and how it went? Yes I know I can just paint it and do other things, but I'm curious about the plastidip since I will be getting some anyway.

Posted

imo its a good idea.. but u have to make sure that theres no dents and sand it real good..

sometimes Loud is NOT pretty

Sounds like its safe to go ahead and bend that ass over.

Posted

you can do it but id I think using trunk liner on a box looks the best.

gives it a sparkly charcoal look

6tvji9s.jpg

pretty sure you can just get trunk liner in a spray can

Posted

Just be careful nothing rubs it as it'll wear easily

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Posted

you can do it but id I think using trunk liner on a box looks the best.

gives it a sparkly charcoal look

6tvji9s.jpg

pretty sure you can just get trunk liner in a spray can

I definitely agree with this! What are the steps you took to do this? And thank you guys for the advice.

Posted

you can do it but id I think using trunk liner on a box looks the best.

gives it a sparkly charcoal look

6tvji9s.jpg

pretty sure you can just get trunk liner in a spray can

I definitely agree with this! What are the steps you took to do this? And thank you guys for the advice.

what I have seen done is spraying the box with plain matt black then throwing the trunk liner over.

Posted

You can also use Flex Seal, which is more durable than Plasti Dip when sprayed on wood.

photobucket-5849-1377910858743_zps91d59c

I Plasti Dipped that console box and sprayed it with Plasti Dip clear. It sat in my shop for a week before we installed it and a few days later, there was paint chipped on top of it. He didn't even know what happened to it.

I wouldn't use it on a wood surface again unless I cleared it with urethane and if I was going to do that, I'd just use a simple base coat like I normally do so... no more Plasti Dip on wood for me.

That said, I've Flex sealed boxes and that shit holds up very well. You can also get another similar product at Lowe's now that is clear, although I've not used it yet. I have a can and will be trying it though...

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Posted

Don't do it. I did it and it did not work well, peel very easy on wood

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Posted

The box I used it on was sprayed with automotive urethane primer and wet sanded with 600 grit paper before it was Plasti dipped.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1763 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...