bbeljefe Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 PA mids can be super clean and loud on active but PA (aka super) tweets, in my opinion, are too harsh in a vehicle. I'd rather have six pair of soft dome tweets than one pair of super tweeters. But about the bass... you said a half wall which I take to be a below the window build in an extended cab. You'll have ~18-20 cubes to work with below the window and with internal dimensions, driver & port displacements, I don't see any way possible for you to end up with a box tuned in the low 30s. Are you talking about a 4 door truck by chance? Or a 3/4 wall? I hope you're not planning a box with only 3/4" panels, because it will come to pieces if you put real power on it. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
ham4864 Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 to harsh thats what gains are for, only way to learn is to get your feet wet. Just go on youtube and you will get some kind of idea on how they sound. TheScottishbear knows his stuff 2009 bmw 5 series Head Unit Stock Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4 Processor- Audiocontrol LC6
bbeljefe Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 to harsh thats what gains are for, only way to learn is to get your feet wet. Too harsh is too harsh, not too loud. Super tweeters and metal domed tweeters are harsh at close proximity, especially when they're crossed too low. They don't handle sibilants well and when the amp that's driving them doesn't either, they sound like shit and will hurt a lot of people's ears. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
BigManAC Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 If your looking for PA midbass another one to consider is Crescendo PWX. I believe they have them in 6, 8 and 12. 2001 Saturn L200-Sony MEX-BT4100PFRONT STAGE:- (4) Crescendo PWX 6- Cadence XA250.2SUB STAGE:-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)-Crescendo BC2kELECTRICAL:- Singer 240A alt - XS Power D3400- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gaugeBuild Log: Click HereScores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw
ham4864 Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 your right they are not for every one. and they do have to be crossed high. 2009 bmw 5 series Head Unit Stock Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4 Processor- Audiocontrol LC6
CLPeller Posted September 26, 2013 Author Report Posted September 26, 2013 Bbeljefe, so from the sounds of it, I'm not sure that I would like the PA style tweeters based on what you said about them. I still wish I had the chance to hear some in person though. What are your guys' thought on running something like 4 8" PA style midbass, with 4 (or more) component style style soft domed tweeters? Or if I'm going to go with soft dome tweeters, should I just stick with a full component set? As far a the box size you're concerned about. It's a super crew (4 full door). And the 09+ F150 cabs are massive. It's been a while since I've done measuring but I believe my numbers are 55" wide, 26" deep, and 33" tall, and that 33" keeps me below the back window. Roughly 47 cubes I believe..? Check out my build! 4 sets CT Sounds Meso components in custom fiberglass doors, 4 D'amore Engineering AF-15's on a DC Audio 3.5K http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/187649-2011-f150-fiberglass-doors-half-wall-16000-w/
Krakin Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 Do your research on each speaker to see where they normally like to have filters at. You don't want your mids to need to be cut off at 1k and your tweets not start in close to 2k. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
bighossf150 Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 just go ahead and wall it since your losing your backseat anyway. My crescendo mids and pyramid tweets sound a ton better than my old aq pro audio and can get loud as hell on low power, Im only running 75w per mid Used to have a loud truck 2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq 2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s
ham4864 Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 I have also had some soundstream tws.4 that sounded good. 2009 bmw 5 series Head Unit Stock Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4 Processor- Audiocontrol LC6
bbeljefe Posted September 26, 2013 Report Posted September 26, 2013 Bbeljefe, so from the sounds of it, I'm not sure that I would like the PA style tweeters based on what you said about them. I still wish I had the chance to hear some in person though. What are your guys' thought on running something like 4 8" PA style midbass, with 4 (or more) component style style soft domed tweeters? Or if I'm going to go with soft dome tweeters, should I just stick with a full component set? As far a the box size you're concerned about. It's a super crew (4 full door). And the 09+ F150 cabs are massive. It's been a while since I've done measuring but I believe my numbers are 55" wide, 26" deep, and 33" tall, and that 33" keeps me below the back window. Roughly 47 cubes I believe..? I can't say that you would or wouldn't like super tweeters because it's really a matter of what you're used to. But if I were you I'd visit a competition and sit in a car with supertweeters before I bought them. Also I wouldn't start with a 1:1 ratio between tweets and mids with an active system, because tweeters can do a lot of work on clean power... even low power. I run Sundown Neo Pro 8s with Soundstream TWS.3N tweeters and my tweeter amp is barely working. EDIT: Oh and now I understand the bass thing. I figured it had to be a 4 door. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.