Second Skin Audio

truck box help

2010gmc

Well, they like a certain amount of airspace for a reason. You still lose cone control and the whole purpose for the box on the first place if you blindly throw more air at it. EACH sub needs .5-.75 cubes, so double that number if running 2. You don't just decide, "Hey, if 1.5 cubes is good, 2.5 cubes MUST be better", it doesn't work like that. I'm not exactly sure if that is what you were asking but there is my long answer. My suggestion is to listen to some of these 8s, in person, to see what you think. Youtube videos won't gone you the accurate idea if what those things can do. I've hear the MA-8s(Skars version of the SA8) in a local guy's car and they get down REALLY well in a good box. The guy that owns the car is a great box builder and the car does around a 143-144 with 3 8" sub. It's also a very musical setup, not a burp monster, it's tuned low and they get mean.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I did not read all the posts but I have experience with the jl 10w1's. They sound good very good but I would not spend that much money on a set of 10's you will expect more out of

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Yeah I don't really understand how to decide what air space or what frequency, but I obviously want them to get loud, but I also want them to get pretty low, so if anyone knows a good amount of airspace for these subs for hitting low and sounding clean, but not necessarily just going for spl, that's what I need. Also, the audio store owner I went to said that sundowns aren't mean to sound good just hit hard, is that true?

Not at all. I have heard some SA 12's they got low as hell and sounded great. The ones I heard had a interchangeable port tuned to 20hz and it was like fuck. I have also heard that the sundown x's sound amassing and get nasty as fuck to.

The shop owner is just trying to sell you other brands because they cost just as much if not more and he gets a nice cut from them

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Yeah I don't really understand how to decide what air space or what frequency, but I obviously want them to get loud, but I also want them to get pretty low, so if anyone knows a good amount of airspace for these subs for hitting low and sounding clean, but not necessarily just going for spl, that's what I need. Also, the audio store owner I went to said that sundowns aren't mean to sound good just hit hard, is that true?

Those subs are designed to get loud, you go and get a demo and decide if they actually sound good to you or not, there are subs that are specifically designed for sound quality, for example use of LMS coils, really expensive stuff and frequently will not tolerate abuse as they are not made for that.

Ok I found a guy who designs, builds and ships boxes an I'm going to get him to do my box for 2 sa 8's unless I can't fit 10's. He hasn't gotten back to me yet on whether 10's will fit. I'm going to do a rockford fosgate t1000-bdCP either way. So I'm going to 1/0 like I said, I'm going to buy the 50 foot spool, and a spool of 12 gauge speaker wire, all from sky high. What else do I need for the wiring?

Archived