Second Skin Audio

New dd subs

Dd9515 king

i will agree about the direct leads. on my old DD 2512s the wire was a true 10 gauge wire,

yesterday i was playing and then suddenly nothing. check amps. both work, check subs they look good. check direct leads. the wires literally melted inside the wire nut and tape. the 10 gauge db link or whatever company wire melted and charred to a black. i thought my scores seemed oddly low doubling power. voltage drop was same yet with double power same score. will meter again and see if this was the issue. i can complain about the triple joint glue jobs.

my advice to everyone using DD in high power applications is to get the extra stiff spider. they do a much better job and it actually feels like a quality recone.

but something about the force and loudness to my ear i cant get out of any other sub i have tried or heard. they do the job as long as they arent broken. which has seemed to be a lot lately. lets hope the 9900s can handle a little more power. at the end of the day DD does rate the 9500 at 1500 rms and it will take that all day no issues

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

You know though a lot of higher end woofers are also rated around that 1500wrms range too for 3inch coil drivers, when they can clearly take much more.

Main reason is warranty, oh you put 3000 watts to your 1500 watt woofer and a defect caused your woofer to break, ok we wont cover that..

Another thing Ive been noticing too on the 2500 series and below, the stock woofers are made/assembled in china (while thats not always bad) the glue they are using aint the best.

The surround landing is held down with a glue you can peel right off and rull up in a ball, you can remove the surrounds without wrecking them. If you ever got a credit card, or any other plastic card in the mail and it was glued to a piece of paper, its that type of glue, not sure what it is tho.

But the many lower end subs I reconed in the past couple months Ive noticed that they are using just 1 type of spiders it seems and they cut it down to fit the spider landing on the cheaper baskets. You can tell this because when they are cut down to fit, often times they are cut in the middle of the hump on the spiders. But these spiders do seem different from the stock spiders used on the ones built in china, and also a nicer coil from what I can tell by windheight alone. So at the end of the day a reconed woofer seems to be a good bit better, or at least using better parts.

From what I can tell these feel and look just like the 3500 and 9500 series spiders, but they are cutting the opening larger to fit the 3inch coil.

Chances are its going to be the same spiders used on the 9900 series too since its the same basket, and spider landing size. But cant confirm that until I have to recone one of those too.

It is very possible, because that would save a lot of money on stocking multiple sizes for their spiders.

No different then fi/aa only having 1 type cone in 10-18 inch sizes and using it on every model woofer they produce, and cutting out the neck of the cone larger to fit 4inch drivers, after all they are all the same model numbers stamped on the cones in white ink.

You know though a lot of higher end woofers are also rated around that 1500wrms range too for 3inch coil drivers, when they can clearly take much more.

Main reason is warranty, oh you put 3000 watts to your 1500 watt woofer and a defect caused your woofer to break, ok we wont cover that..

Another thing Ive been noticing too on the 2500 series and below, the stock woofers are made/assembled in china (while thats not always bad) the glue they are using aint the best.

The surround landing is held down with a glue you can peel right off and rull up in a ball, you can remove the surrounds without wrecking them. If you ever got a credit card, or any other plastic card in the mail and it was glued to a piece of paper, its that type of glue, not sure what it is tho.

But the many lower end subs I reconed in the past couple months Ive noticed that they are using just 1 type of spiders it seems and they cut it down to fit the spider landing on the cheaper baskets. You can tell this because when they are cut down to fit, often times they are cut in the middle of the hump on the spiders. But these spiders do seem different from the stock spiders used on the ones built in china, and also a nicer coil from what I can tell by windheight alone. So at the end of the day a reconed woofer seems to be a good bit better, or at least using better parts.

From what I can tell these feel and look just like the 3500 and 9500 series spiders, but they are cutting the opening larger to fit the 3inch coil.

Chances are its going to be the same spiders used on the 9900 series too since its the same basket, and spider landing size. But cant confirm that until I have to recone one of those too.

It is very possible, because that would save a lot of money on stocking multiple sizes for their spiders.

No different then fi/aa only having 1 type cone in 10-18 inch sizes and using it on every model woofer they produce, and cutting out the neck of the cone larger to fit 4inch drivers, after all they are all the same model numbers stamped on the cones in white ink.

According to our DD rep, and the main tech dude (Can't remember his name) everything above the 500 series they assemble in house. The website also has everything above the 500 series with a "Made in the USA" logo below the pricing. Not saying anything you are saying is incorrect, just stating what they are claiming now. I'm obviously not there for production so I have no idea, also haven't had as much hands on experience with them as you have as we literally just started carrying the line.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

DD claims that on the 9900s that it is a 10 inch spider. I dont see how that is possible if they use the same baskets.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I can see the 10inch spider illl explain when I get a keyboard

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

9918_-_Front.png
9900_-_3qtr-back-right.png9900_-_right.png9900_-_pair.png9900_-_sideup.png9900_-_top.png

Digital Designs is happy to announce the re-introduction of the original Beast, The 9900 Series woofers. The biggest and baddest is back, and bigger and badder than ever. The low frequency explosion in music, across all genres, has led to the re-development of the 9900 Series. This 9900 series is designed to provide long term power handling, with accuracy, and ultra-long excursion.

The new 9900 motor is a beast, with 3 inches of magnet cross section area, a diameter over 10 inches and weighing in at 70 pounds. The traditionally tight DD magnet gap drives long throw flat aluminum voice coils to a peak excursion in excess of 3 inches, while keeping enough turns in the magnetic gap to maintain power and control.

The Beauty of the Beast

The 4” 9900 coils receive the same innovations developed for the Z Series coils, 5 layer former construction with double layer aluminum sidewalls, perimeter vents, double slit formers to reduce eddy currents and twice baked and coated for highest temperature resistance possible.

This high surface area coil (100% greater than a 9500 voice coil) is immersed in the extensively CnC machined, DD Free FLow Cooling System motor design - perimeter basket vents - vertical top plate vents - horizontal and vertical pole vents - vertical back plate vents - the harder the speaker is driven, the more air is pumped around the through the voice coil.

The magnet gap uses a symmetric flux topology with a pole piece that is flush with the top plate, and undercut below the magnetic gap. Fixed to the top of the pole piece is a black anodized aluminum ring that does double duty as Faraday Ring and high efficiency heat sink.

The technology tour de force focus continues with the rest of the moving parts. The composite, multi-spider assembly is comprised of 5 layers consisting of 3 different materials heat formed into a linear, long wearing suspension designed to give years of service. The X-11 cone is made from the strongest synthetic pulp known to man and is non-pressed to expand the cross section area for increased rigidity. The 2 layer EROM surround maximizes cone area and travel while reducing moving mass.

The 9900 is the go to subwoofer for the demanding bassaholic with a profound interest in physics. Entertaining minds will revel in the endless system design possibilities deliverable with these precision low frequency devices.

Specifications
Magnet Weight 504 oz
Nominal Impedance D.5, D1
Power Handling 1200-2500w RMS, 10,000w Peak
Suspension Composite
Suspension Travel 80mm
Xmax 47mm @50%BL

9912 9915 9918 9921
Fs 43 Hz 40 Hz 36 Hz 34 Hz
QTS .43 .49 .49 .46
Qes .47 .54 .53 .50
Qms 5.04 6.05 6.19 5.15
Shipping Weight TBA TBA TBA TBA
VAS 13.82 L 14.62 L 85.16 L 161 L
Voice Coil Diameter 4" / 10.16 cm 4" / 10.16 cm 4" / 10.16 cm 4" / 10.16 cm
Woofer Diameter 12" / 30.48 cm 15" / 38.1 cm 18" / 45.72 cm 21" / 53.34 cm
A - Outside Diameter 12.625 15.375 21.25
B - Cutout Diameter 11.25 13.75 19.25
C - Mounting Depth 8.5 9.125 11.75
D - Motor Diameter 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
E - Motor Depth 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5

Price*
9912 9915 9918 9921
Price* $899 $949 $999 $2499

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.

From what I recall that basket wasnt a 10inch landing, it was a 9.25 inch landing, unless the 12inch baskets are smaller. Could be wrong.

Its the same basket used on the I series, as well as AB and AQ

As well as F motors :P

20130509_000253_zps00f45492.jpg

Edit:

AQ says 9.25icnh spiders....

http://www.soundqubed.com/HDC418-D1-A-_p_137.html

The 9.25 inch diameter multi-layer spider system with integrated lead wires provides well controlled excursions needed for advanced box tuning.

But I bet you DD will say they had the baskets engineered just for them!!

When rhey sent me my last recone they sent me a spider spacer ring as well. It sat in the actual spider landing and moved the spider level to the top edge of the spider landing making for a larger landing area and the ability to tske a 10 inch spider. Wham

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived