afatlazyturtle Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 Hello I am a new member and I was wondering if someone could give some advice on enclosures.The problem? I believe I have too large of a box. I have a 9.7 cu ft box (you can see it in my profile picture) for one 15. I am going to put a sundown x 15 in it, and currently I have an E 15 just for some giggles and bass. The box is wonderfully loud and tuned at 29 hz, but I fear that it is too large for good power handling for one 15 and was wondering if I would have better performance of power handling with a smaller box. I am currently running a mtx TD 1000.1 to the E 15 at 2 ohms and it sounds nice so far but I am just curious about the x 15 with a hifonics 1600.1 brutus at 1 ohm, would the box be too much for the sub or am I just over thinking it?
Krakin Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 I would watch it like crazy so it doesn't break mechanically. An optimal box should be around 3.5 cubes. Just judging off the Zv.3. Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Tribe Called Bass Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 Basing off of most subwoofer recommendations, that is an absurd sized box. The average is 3.5-4cu p/15" edit; Krakin' beat me to it
Jessica Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 looking at that pic, i would say that is no way 9cuft Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Krakin Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 Didn't even look at that. Most likely didn't subtract port volume. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
afatlazyturtle Posted October 6, 2013 Author Report Posted October 6, 2013 40 x 17 x 24 = 9.7 cubes? I believe so, inside is roughly 9 though. Thank you Krakin Don't get me wrong I know this is twice the size of regular boxes but it sounds beautifully nice and loud, and with the x driver I would still like a little bit of the large size on a box.
Jessica Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 just guessing by the cutout for the sub i would say 4.3cuft tops plus port. maybe 6cuft total. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Tecomah Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 Since there is nothing to compare the boxs size too idk if it's too large but for it to be nine cubes plus port that box would be huge 750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY Team Subsonic Lows
Jessica Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 40 x 17 x 24 = 9.7 cubes? I believe so, inside is roughly 9 though. Thank you Krakin Don't get me wrong I know this is twice the size of regular boxes but it sounds beautifully nice and loud, and with the x driver I would still like a little bit of the large size on a box. 7.7 including port. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
afatlazyturtle Posted October 6, 2013 Author Report Posted October 6, 2013 Oh, I AM forgetting to minus the port!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.