Android App for Tablet Headunits!

So, I've picked up my Nexus 7 dash project again, and have been looking for a good app to use, to emulate a true headunit's design. I still haven't found anything that looked exactly how I wanted it, so I'm making my own. With the help of 2 of my friends, we will be building this app from the ground up, specifically to be used as a headunit.

There's no app to download, no beta to ask for, hell there's no alpha yet. This is simply a Photoshop mockup I've made for when we start.

mockupnexus.png

I wanted to show you guys, and also ask for your input on things that should be changed and/or added.

Just to explain a few things that can't be show in the picture:

Clock: Clicking this will take you to your clock app of choice.

"Navigate to destination": Tap here and type in your destination, or tap the Mic Icon (not pictured, will be added) to speak your destination. Tapping he Navigation icon will take you to Google Navigation (or your nav app of choice)

4 Squares: this is your app drawer icon. Useful for people who remove their tablet from the dash on a regular basis, so you can still access all other apps

Music section: It will pull the Album art, song name, artist, album, track number, and time by default. Depending on the degree of difficulty, we may make this section configurable to include or exclude other information about the song playing

3 Squares at bottom: 3 configurable app shortcuts, you can keep them empty (no icon will be displayed) or have quick ways to open your Netflix (when you're not driving, of course), or other apps

Music Controls: Pretty obvious. Play will change to Pause icon while music is playing

Vol Up and Down: Again, obvious. The way I'm mounting my tablet, I will not be able to press the physical volume buttons, so this feature was added for convenience

Music Icon: This will take you to your music app of choice

Anyway, is there anything else you guys want to see added? I can't promise anything right now, it will depend on the difficulty to add these things.

Also, as a warning, I'm not promising this app will ever get finished. We are all very busy, and cannot guarantee a lot of time will be spent on this.

This thread will be updated if/when there is news about the app's development.

Thanks for reading!

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Awesome awesome awesome!! When you do get the ball rolling and if you need another tester or two, I can see how it works with my Samsung tab and Leo has the nexus tab, so he'd probably be free to try it out as well.

Good luck man :good:

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Awesome awesome awesome!! When you do get the ball rolling and if you need another tester or two, I can see how it works with my Samsung tab and Leo has the nexus tab, so he'd probably be free to try it out as well.

Good luck man :good:

I'll definitely let you guys know when we need a tester! Is there anything specific you'd like to see added?

2008 Subaru Forester XT

An app setting button to possibly configure a custom background.

Brightness toggle or slider.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but you've got a very very good concept going on right now.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

An app setting button to possibly configure a custom background.

Brightness toggle or slider.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but you've got a very very good concept going on right now.

Ohh, brightness slider is a good one.

There will be a settings menu somewhere, most likely within the app drawer

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Sweeeeet! Some cool ideas so far! Like Adam said if you need another tester just let me know I have the first gen nexus 7 and I'll probably be buying the second gen as a Christmas gift to myself

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

The volume up and down being on the left side might be nice this way it is closer to the driver?

Other than that, looks sexy. I'm definately even help out by donating for it. I want to start my nexus 7 install at some point.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

Volume on the left would work.

How about larger volume buttons on the left side, so there's no accidental clicks?

Donations would be appreciated, but we won't take any until the app is actually in development. We are still working out the layout plan right now. :)

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Volume on left is good!

Shuffle/random and repeat options maybe?

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Haptic feedback for the keys

Maybe vokume buttoms with a slider next to it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived