i would have to agree with Ritch actually. my box the paint came out really soft. and after 2 years it has some dings and chips and i still can't set anything on it for long before it starts making marks in the clear coat -.- that was my first time painting a box so i wanna try different stuff now and see if i can make it look better and be more durable.

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

• 1 month later...

Normally I take the easy/quick route of carpeting my boxes, but this time I decided to go for a nice painted finish like some of you posted. However, I didn't realize how problematic the edges were. After spray painting, sanding, spray painting for a few coats, the edges just look terrible. Would the easiest fix be to just sand most of the paint off, cover the box with fiberglass resin (or body filler), sand, and then start the painting process again?

Normally I take the easy/quick route of carpeting my boxes, but this time I decided to go for a nice painted finish like some of you posted. However, I didn't realize how problematic the edges were. After spray painting, sanding, spray painting for a few coats, the edges just look terrible. Would the easiest fix be to just sand most of the paint off, cover the box with fiberglass resin (or body filler), sand, and then start the painting process again?

Yes, you have to have some kind of Primer / Sealer between the wood and paint or the wood will keep absorbing in some areas and you will get that blotchines and Bleed troughs

Yes, you have to have some kind of Primer / Sealer between the wood and paint or the wood will keep absorbing in some areas and you will get that blotchines and Bleed troughs

Alright cool. Another thing in question, how do these painted boxes hold up? Things will be regularly loaded/unloaded from the trunk and most likely be packed around and bump into the box. Maybe carpet in my situation would be better?

Alright cool. Another thing in question, how do these painted boxes hold up? Things will be regularly loaded/unloaded from the trunk and most likely be packed around and bump into the box. Maybe carpet in my situation would be better?

YES, DEFINATELY. PAINTED BOXES AND PANELS SCRATCH UP INCREDIBLY EASY. I ONLY DO IT FOR SHOW QUALITY. THE PANELS AND/OR BOXES WILL BE SECURELY INSTALLED IN PLACE AND STAY THERE. NO USING THE TRUNK SPACE FOR GROCERIES OR ANYTHING BUT THE SOUND SYSTEM, ONLY UNDER THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE GOOD FOR PAINTED PARTS.

what we do in the cabinet business is sand it till it gets a sort of "white" look to it, then spray it with a coat of primer, that is mixed with medium dry thinner, let it dry, sand with 180, spray again, then sand with 220. coat the edges heavy when spraying the primer. then paint it using a decent gravity or pump feed spray gun. itll turn out like glass when your done.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Archived