Sundown Audio

What amp should i buy?

tjones

I'd go with the CT Sounds 1400.1 or the Audio Technix 1200 if you can get it. I'm running two of the AT-1400.1s strapped at 1Ω (.5Ω) each and they've never complained.

And yes, you'd definitely need 1/0, big three and a second battery to get the most from one of them... cause they'll do ~double what you're looking for at 1Ω.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

for 1500 watts he could prolly get away witha large battery under the hood if he can fit it. 1 gauge is a must though as 4 maxs out at around 1100wrms on typical length runs

That ain't no 1500 watt amp. It's ~1800 at resting voltage. ;-)

I have 300 AH of battery, a 200 amp alternator and 4 runs of 1/0 to mine. Granted, they're a lot more power hungry at .5Ω than they are at 1Ω but even with that considered, they still require a lot of current that you simply won't get from a single battery setup. Especially from your garden variety 65 AH underhood battery.

for 1500 watts he could prolly get away witha large battery under the hood if he can fit it. 1 gauge is a must though as 4 maxs out at around 1100wrms on typical length runs

I have 300 AH of battery, a 200 amp alternator and 4 runs of 1/0 to mine. Granted, they're a lot more power hungry at .5Ω than they are at 1Ω but even with that considered, they still require a lot of current that you simply won't get from a single battery setup. Especially from your garden variety 65 AH underhood battery.

Well yours it clearly overkill , not that thats a bad thing. How tech you wanna get i can fit a d7500 under my hood :P lawls however im not against against a second battery just saying its not 100% necessary. Running at .5 ohm is also a massive drop in efficiency . So 1800 x 80% efficiency / 14.4 volts is about 155 amp draw . However factor in the inconstancy of music , unless hes just doing a 5 hour burp on average he will be drawling half that. The question lays what car is it and what size stock alt is it? Anything less then a 130 amp stock alt i would have to agree with you. Anything 130 or over, depends on what he can fit under the hood :). None the less it wont hurt

Well yours it clearly overkill , not that thats a bad thing. How tech you wanna get i can fit a d7500 under my hood :P lawls however im not against against a second battery just saying its not 100% necessary. Running at .5 ohm is also a massive drop in efficiency . So 1800 x 80% efficiency / 14.4 volts is about 155 amp draw . However factor in the inconstancy of music , unless hes just doing a 5 hour burp on average he will be drawling half that. The question lays what car is it and what size stock alt is it? Anything less then a 130 amp stock alt i would have to agree with you. Anything 130 or over, depends on what he can fit under the hood :). None the less it wont hurt

Assuming 80% efficiency from even a class D amp at anything below 4Ω is rather generous in my opinion. And you're correct that music isn't a consistent draw but with that said, to run safely, we must build for the worst case scenario.

After all, you wouldn't design a bridge around the average amount of weight it will carry, would you?

• 1 month later...

I want to run 2 Q1-2200 with 2 HDC3 12's in a trunk system.

1995 Mitsubishi Galant

HDC312 (2)

Q1-2200 (2)

QC-HF6.5 components (2 pair)

Q4-120

Q-Mat sound deadening

XS Power D3400 (3)

Kicker PKD1 wiring kit

Autotek 7007 Signal Processor

build in progress :morepower1:

Archived