Second Skin Audio

Should I build a 4th? Come help a beginner box builder (:

Aye guys. It's time to finally get some bass back in my life. I finally have the equipment and time (more or less) to do it. I just bought a new car after having a truck that I couldn't afford to drive (5 MPG FTW) and just recently bought a 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. My first build was in a 94 Pontiac Grand Prix and I just really like the cars. And I love how big the trunks are. Anyways Here's a list of what I will be putting in my new Pontiac

2 American Bass XFL 12s

1 Audiopipe 1800.1 (I know I know...)

My JVC headunit. Single din. Can't remember the model off of the top of my head.

I have an American Bass 4 gauge wiring kit that I'll probably use until I have the money for Sky High 0 Gauge.

Stock Alt (125 Amp, not to bad)

Big 3 sooner or later

I have 4 Crescendo PWX-6s also that I would like to make custom door pods for also. But I'll have to buy tweeters and an amp to run them. And that's getting just a bit ahead of myself for now.

Stock door and deck speakers for now. It actually has tweeters and I think a 6in midbass in the doors and 6x9s in the back. I haven't taken the door panels off yet but I think they are boss speakers and they actually sound quite good.

Now for the box. My old Pontiac I was the same equipment and I had a 4.6 cube box center port tuned to 32Hz. I would love to be able to use this box again but it happens to be just 2 inches to wide. And I'm not going to just cut it like all of my friends have recommended lol.

Now I have 2 ideas. Either a new box 4.6 cubes tuned to 32 hz again but do driver side port. Or a 4th order. I have no experience with 4th orders but I would love to try to build one. But heck i'm not even sure if these subs would like a 4th. I'm not exactly asking for box designs just yet. I just want some opinions on the subject. I'm at school right now but later tonight once I get home I will post my max dimensions. Oh and I forgot to add. My seats do flip down so subs and port will be facing the cabin and will be sealed off of course. Thanks for whoever took the time to read this and thanks for you're guys help in advance.

Nothing for now...

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

I'd grab Adam's ass and look him in the eyes for a demo of nates truck.

If you are ok with giving up a good majority of your trunk, a fourth order would be a good way to go especially being that you are starting the box from scratch. Here is an awesome link to beginning 4th order box builders. Hope this helps. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/126478-basics-of-a-4th-order-bandpass-enclosure/

Acme Tops & Tunes

6430 Franklin Blvd.

Sacramento, CA 95823

www.acmetopsandtunes.com

PH 916.429.2293 FX 916.429.2296

Facebook YouTube Twitter Yelp Google

XFL's do well in 4th's, but they are a little difficult to build. If you have the cash to drop a few different boxes and a LOT of time into that car, then go ahead and try out a 4th. If not, Rebuild another box similar to the one you already had success with.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

If you are ok with giving up a good majority of your trunk, a fourth order would be a good way to go especially being that you are starting the box from scratch. Here is an awesome link to beginning 4th order box builders. Hope this helps. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/126478-basics-of-a-4th-order-bandpass-enclosure/

Yeah I'm not to worried about truck space. All I ever haul is my bike and I plan on just throwing it in my back seat and getting a roof rack later on. And thanks for the link. I'll read up.

Nothing for now...

XFL's do well in 4th's, but they are a little difficult to build. If you have the cash to drop a few different boxes and a LOT of time into that car, then go ahead and try out a 4th. If not, Rebuild another box similar to the one you already had success with.

Yeah the last thing I wanna do is build box after box...I don't have the time or money for that but I think if I take a couple weeks of planning I should be able to do it right the first time. I just want something that sounds great, looks great, and is different then all the prefabs in my town haha. I just like the idea of a 4th I guess.

Edit: took out video

Nothing for now...

Anyone have any insight on this? Work and school has kept me busy but I will post max trunk dimensions at lunch today. I talked to my school and I think I'll be able to use the woods shop to make the cuts for my box. I'd like to start cutting by Friday next week or the week after that.

Nothing for now...

I'm planning on doing a 4th order myself for 2 18's. From what I understand you build the shell of the box or wall then the sealed section load the subs and find the resonate frequency and then tune the ported section to that. I'm going for a 3:1 ratio with my build and from what I understand this will still play low but do well on the meter as well.

Just took dimensions of my trunk. I kinda think I'm leaning towards a regular ported box (Drivers side port). A 4th is kinda something I don't wanna spend messing with if I end up not liking it. Here' s what I have to work with.

Depth - 46 inches

Width - 35 inches

Height - 15 3/4 inches (I would say 16in but that 1/4 inch will give me a bit of wiggle room)

The next few nights I'll try to mess around on Torres for a while and see if I can come up with.

P.S. to JoeX if he's reading this. Thanks for the help with my last box again and maybe if you get the time could you whip me up another cut sheet? I'm thinking 4.6 cubes (no displacements) tuned to 32hz again. I liked how the last box turned out.

Edit: Spelling

Nothing for now...

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Only problem is that I cant get the tuning to be under 40 hz. I'm messing around with anything and it seems like I cant get it tuned to 32 unless I make the port super skinny and it seems like that would be choking the subs.

newbox1_zps9053144a.png

Nothing for now...

Archived