Second Skin Audio

What would it be?

Hi all! I have a couple questions. first question: I have two subs. one is an Eclipse SW6123.4, and it will reproduce bass fine, except it rattles (metallic rattling). the noise is coming from under the spider. any ideas as to what it is or how to fix it? ok, next question: the other sub is a DB Drive PLT12D. it plays fine, but when pushing on the cone, about halfway down it runs into a stiff spot and gets hard to push. Now what is that? also, it says 1500 watts on the bottom, but idk if thats rms or peak? im bench testing these on a steel bench, and the Eclipse will play like normal when you hold it up off the bench, but the DB Drive one wont vibrate as much. Any ideas on that one? another question: the amp i have is a Bazooka CSA300.1, says 500 watts. is that rms or peak? would it be sufficient in powering either of these? Last question: what sizee box would you recommend for these two (not together, single). would a 24 cubic-foot box be ridiculous for a single 12"? would it sound good, would the sound get lost in there? what? heres the deal why i dont know anything about these: my aunt works at a storage unit rental place, and one of the customers wouldnt pay his bill, so my aunt cleaned out his unit and gave me all his stuff for free, and there was all kinds of wiring ends and adapters and speakers and a box with brand-new Eclipse tweeters, and the amp and those two subs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

- 1971 C/10 - 250 I/6, NP435, manual everything, old farm truck, single family owned. Massive Summo 6.5" in .93 cubes sealed, on 300~ watts. 

- 1995 Ram 2500 - 12-Valve Cummins, ATS Stage 4 auto; timing advanced, fuel plate and injectors, 4" turbo-back; Pioneer DEH-X6700BT HU, looking at a T-line for two Summo 6.5s on 750~

- 1949 Crosley rat rod project - '49 station wagon body on a '89 Dodge D350 chassis, shortened three feet and bagged w/ triangulated four link under the rear; 1974 Caddy 472 C.I. V8 powerplant, ST400 trans from a '67 Buick Wildcat. All work done by yours truly.

The eclipse will probably give out soon and the db drive would eventually . I would just scrap both and get something cheap but decent if your not doing anything special like competitions. And 24 Cu ft is a lot just as an example most 12s use average 2 Cu ft per sub. As far as the amp goes the 500 watts is most likely peak. At most maybe 200 watts

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help. but, you didnt answer my second-to-last question. you say that the area is a lot, but would the sound be ok, would it dissapate and never be heard, or would it be extremely loud?

- 1971 C/10 - 250 I/6, NP435, manual everything, old farm truck, single family owned. Massive Summo 6.5" in .93 cubes sealed, on 300~ watts. 

- 1995 Ram 2500 - 12-Valve Cummins, ATS Stage 4 auto; timing advanced, fuel plate and injectors, 4" turbo-back; Pioneer DEH-X6700BT HU, looking at a T-line for two Summo 6.5s on 750~

- 1949 Crosley rat rod project - '49 station wagon body on a '89 Dodge D350 chassis, shortened three feet and bagged w/ triangulated four link under the rear; 1974 Caddy 472 C.I. V8 powerplant, ST400 trans from a '67 Buick Wildcat. All work done by yours truly.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, thanks. i didn't figure it would be.

Archived