60w into 120w components too little?

Shigshwa

Speakers only need a few watts to get loud enough to be heard clearly in a vehicle in motion, even if the RMS power handling is rated at over 100W. RMS power handling is about thermal capacity, not about how loud the speakers will play on XX number of watts. A good 100W RMS component speaker system will sound fine on 60W RMS per channel, assuming the gain is set correctly and your music doesn't sound like garbage. Doubling available amplifier power in theory allows for an extra 3 dB of music transients to play without clipping. However, clipping on transients is not nearly as bad as many people believe it is. Look up "School of Sound" on YouTube and watch the video of a seminar by JL Audio. All of this is covered and a lot more.

Just run your amp at 2ohms and get more power out of it. Your hurting your mids by under powering them so much, dropping to 2ohms would make a big difference.

You can't hurt a speaker by underpowering it. You can hurt a speaker by sending a distorted or clipped wave to it, not underpowering though.

-Edited for snarkiness

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Just run your amp at 2ohms and get more power out of it. Your hurting your mids by under powering them so much, dropping to 2ohms would make a big difference.

Totally incorrect.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Underpowering is not a problem at all. Unless you try to push the amplifier to clipping because you're looking for power.

I'd rather have a good set of comps on a small amp than the good amp on a smaller set of comp. Just my opinion.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

double post sorry

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Dont listen to these guys! YES underpowering will ruin your speakers. You will wanna turn up system every now n then, why else have a system!? And when you do, underpowering will cause clipping, coils burning etc...so yes if the amp u have is what u have, then wire at 2ohm and get that extra 30-50 Rms, will make a huge difference.

Dont listen to these guys! YES underpowering will ruin your speakers. You will wanna turn up system every now n then, why else have a system!? And when you do, underpowering will cause clipping, coils burning etc...so yes if the amp u have is what u have, then wire at 2ohm and get that extra 30-50 Rms, will make a huge difference.

Stop. Just stop. I hate seeing people give others bad information. Underpowering will never ruin any equipment. EVER. If you're talking about ruining equipment because you want to be an idiot and try turning the volume up past what it's set at then that's your own fault, and there isn't any sort of warranty on stupid

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Stop. Just stop. I hate seeing people give others bad information. Underpowering will never ruin any equipment. EVER. If you're talking about ruining equipment because you want to be an idiot and try turning the volume up past what it's set at then that's your own fault, and there isn't any sort of warranty on st.

If your gonna listen to your system at volume 1, then ya it wont ruin it. But 99% of people will turn up volume more than that, and giving only 50% of what your speakers need, yes it will ruin them. And if you really wanna listen to these guys that underpowering wont ruin them...then go ahead and keep your system the way it is and I guarantee you that in a few months or less you will be buying new speakers.

Archived