Jump to content

60w into 120w components too little?


Shigshwa

Recommended Posts

Posted

I want to buy a Rockford Fosgate T400-4 and upgrade my speakers. I'm noticing most of the mid-high end component systems are all around 100-130w RMS, and the amp does 60w at 4 ohms. Would this cause my speakers to be too quiet? Or would 60w still be reasonably loud? I'd like a nice sounding set of front and rear speakers to compliment my SP4. My JBL upgraded system does a fine job at it, but the SQ sucks. I don't know how many watts the JBL amp pushes, nor do I know how many watts the speakers push. Should I go with the lower end component speakers that run at a wattage closer to what the amp produces so it would be at least as loud as my JBL speakers? Because I don't need extreme sound quality.

Posted

My opinion is, too little? no, they would still be decent but not their full potential. If it was me I would shoot for closer to 100 watts personally if that's what they are rated at. Try not to exceed the 100 watts though unless you REALLY know what you are doing though.

You going active or passive?

Also, the Power Rockford amps do more than rated so keep that in mind as well.

you may send 60w to them all day and love the way they sound though so I don't want to discourage you from that but if you haven't bought the equipment yet just get the appropriate amp IMO.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Posted

As Karkov said try to get closer to the RMS wattage. There is no reason to get a nice set of mids/highs and then not even power them to get their potential. They will sound good but would sound better and clearer with more power. I have a set of focals that are rated at 100 rms and have put 150 to them for two years and they still run just fine. Of course the amp was set up right and I back the gain off just a little bit. But don't get a high end speaker set up and then not power them that much. You'll be missing out, just my opinion though.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

Posted

My T400-4 does 75X4@ 4 ohms. It also puts out good power at 2 ohms. If I remember correctly it was like 120X4@ 2 ohms.

When you say JBL upgraded system, I'm assuming you mean factory JBL? If that is what you mean, then it will be NIGHT and day difference with a Fosgate amp and aftermarket components.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

My T400-4s birthsheet rated the amp at 75 rms @ 4 ohms continuous. I am running T2s active and they are louder than when they where passive. More dynamic headroom would have been nice but the jump in cost to a T600-4 couldnt be justified at the time but wish i had the $ to have done so. Be really its never enough is it? LOL and considering i had 2 sets of T2 comps and 2 T400-4 plus all other RF equipment i tried to keep some costs down. As always i would do things differently now after learning what i have.

I say more power on great components, you can always turn your gains down. Good luck.

Posted

Hm.. loud is such a subjective term too, I mean, in terms of volume, I'm more than happy with the maximum volume my factory upgraded system puts out, any more and it'd be ridiculously deafening for a car with just one sub. If even lower end components will be better/louder than my factory, may as well go with those then. Wish the lower end Rockfords came with crossovers too

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60498_Rockford-Fosgate-T1675-S.html

Posted

What is the advantage of a separate crossover vs a built in one? I don't see a difference if they're both passive. If that's the case, I may as well go with Rockford's Punch line.

Posted

RE Audio XXX Components are 2 ohm rated and sound beautiful. Good power rating also.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

I personally like to run no less than 150w per speaker, headroom is godmode and stresses the speakers and system much less than an under powered set trying to play full tilt full of distortion.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

All higher end comps come with seperate crossovers for better sound qaulity by building with better hardware. Its all in what you want out of your system and your budget will allow. If you have the audio bug like most of us do, you continually upgrade and want more power and better sound while getting louder. No matter what age you are. My car, living room and bedroom are all sound and visually focused apon. Always have been and always will be.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 962 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...