Cold weather and Battery Q's

So batteries have a CCA and CA. Cold cranking rating is lower than the standard cranking amps. Why is this?

I thought that cold was good for electrical as far as resistance was concerned. Also I thought you wanted to store batteries in cold to make them hold their charge longer.

I saw this quote and it really make me wonder.

"As far as reliable starting in cold weather goes, it is the battery that cold temps puts the greatest toll on. Keep the battery warm with a plate that goes under it and requires a 120v source.

I always thought that is was that the engine is more difficult to turn over when it was cold. That's why once the engine is warm, and it still cold outside (the battery is the same temp) that the engine turns over easier.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Heat creates resistance, I get better voltage when its cold. I get about .5 volts higher at around 50 degrees compared to 80 degrees.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Heat creates resistance, I get better voltage when its cold. I get about .5 volts higher at around 50 degrees compared to 80 degrees.

So it is the resistance in the alt correct?

and ditto on charging/temps

14.4-5 @ 50

13.8 @ 80

13.4 @ 95

Cold temps means slower chemical reaction within the battery.

Ahh, so they are also slower to loose a charge when stored in cold, and slower to give up a charge. Makes sense.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

So it is the resistance in the alt correct?

and ditto on charging/temps

14.4-5 @ 50

13.8 @ 80

13.4 @ 95

Cold temps means slower chemical reaction within the battery.

Ahh, so they are also slower to loose a charge when stored in cold, and slower to give up a charge. Makes sense.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

This would be a good read.

Heat also increases, not decreases, the internal resistance.

Archived