Second Skin Audio

grand prix sub box

xavier419

I've been looking at getting an hdc3 18 for my 98 Grand Prix and was wondering what size box i should use. I'm going to put the port where the opening is. I was also wondering what to tune the box to. I'm also going to have the sub firing up and in the center if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welp if you want to go with an 18, be prepared to build the box in the trunk because that opening isn't as big as you think haha. Firing up for sure, but i'd move it towards the side of the box that is furthest under the speaker deck. Port i would put out the side to the passenger side of the trunk, make sure you seal off the bumper vent on that side behind the carpet. Now before you ask, no i've never had an 18 in my grand prix, but i've seen an 18 in a mazda trunk set up like that and it was gettin down.

Edit: video found lol couple more as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbXvdq46YQ

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

How much space are do you have available? Most trunks like forward or rear facing sub/port. Do you have 5 cubes of space in that trunk?

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Welp if you want to go with an 18, be prepared to build the box in the trunk because that opening isn't as big as you think haha. Firing up for sure, but i'd move it towards the side of the box that is furthest under the speaker deck. Port i would put out the side to the passenger side of the trunk, make sure you seal off the bumper vent on that side behind the carpet. Now before you ask, no i've never had an 18 in my grand prix, but i've seen an 18 in a mazda trunk set up like that and it was gettin down.

Edit: video found lol couple more as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbXvdq46YQ

how big could i make the box

36x14x23 is the biggest I could fit. Build a cardboard mockup box and find out. Up firing will result in horrendous trunk rattle btw.

97 2dr GTP

140a AD244

DH platinum group 32

0awg welding cable

SAZ-2500 / X-12

JVC Arsenal KD-A95BT

Sony coaxials and factory tweets

36x14x23 is the biggest I could fit. Build a cardboard mockup box and find out. Up firing will result in horrendous trunk rattle btw.

I'm gonna sound deaden the trunk

Good luck with that :)

Regardless you won't be able to fit a large enough enclosure for an 18. Unless you wall off the trunk, or build the box in the trunk. GPs have very small openings.

97 2dr GTP

140a AD244

DH platinum group 32

0awg welding cable

SAZ-2500 / X-12

JVC Arsenal KD-A95BT

Sony coaxials and factory tweets

I'm gonna sound deaden the trunk

Good luck with that :)

Regardless you won't be able to fit a large enough enclosure for an 18. Unless you wall off the trunk, or build the box in the trunk. GPs have very small openings.

I'm building the box in the trunk for sure

I have a 99 Grand Prix gt coupe and currently I have 4 12's. They are In a shitty prefab sealed box, but they face up, and still the trunk rattles like a mofo. I have 2 layers of dynomat on the top of the trunk, and one later on trunk lid and the bottom of the trunk. I would recommend not having it face up unless your trunk is really solid!

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived