Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Port Tuning


iTac91

Recommended Posts

Posted

My subs (JL 10w0) call for a port tuned to 30 hz. I found a box with everything right except the port is tuned to 40 hz. How much of a difference will this make.

The port is an inch too wide. Could i just add half an inch to each side of the vent and fix it or would i have to move the interior lengths aswell.

Posted

30 to 40hz is a huge difference. You ever notice how most prefab enclosures are really loud at higher frequencies, but have little to no low end? That's because they're tuned to 40+. Something tuned to 30hz will have FAR better low end, but may not hit the 40hz as well.

Depends what the port area/ft ends up at. If it's at say...12, you could just lengthen the port a few inches as long as it doesn't change your /ft to 16+ or lower your overall volume too much. Get torres box calc. Mess around with a few different port dimensions and see what works. But in all honesty, you'd probably be best off just rebuilding your own from scratch.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.
Posted

I went from 30hz to 35 hz. Never again will I go over 30hz.

Alpine PDX-V9


Morel Tempo 6


Alpine SBR-S8-4


Alpine CDE 149BT



Posted

Not to mention a 40 Hz tune is probably going to have a HUGE peak in the response and be really boomy. Lower tuning = better, at least in my opinion, and I'm not alone.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

My subs (JL 10w0) call for a port tuned to 30 hz. I found a box with everything right except the port is tuned to 40 hz. How much of a difference will this make.

The port is an inch too wide. Could i just add half an inch to each side of the vent and fix it or would i have to move the interior lengths aswell.

You should probably post a sketch of that box, there are a few ways to change tuning to an already made box but is hard to recommend something without looking at it.

Posted

I went from 30hz to 35 hz. Never again will I go over 30hz.

I think this depends on the subs you are running. Most of the more experienced box builders I have sought out for advice did not recommending tuning that low.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5740 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...