Keeping blowing tweets and X-overs. Why?!?!

Karkov

and the HU HPF set to 125.

What does this mean ??

Amplifier should be completly fullrange and only cut off on the low end ...

Sorry, trying to keep up with the posts in thread. Took a screen shot of the HU and the HPF setting on the HU that I was talking about being at 125. When the amp was set to AP (all pass) the mids seemed like they would bottom out so I had the amp set at HP (high Pass)

SAM_0585_zps659b3085.jpg

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Doesn't this keep happening to every comp set you have hooked up so far? Maybe the amp is the issue?

Completely different amp. Previously it was the T1000-4ad on the 2 T3 sets, now it's the T600-4 on 2 CZ sets.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Before they blew, did they sound ok?

Sounds like the tweeters are playing too low, like they are getting signal they shouldn't, almost like the crossovers were wired wrong from the factory. Are you over powering the shit out of them?

Next time I would check resistance at the input terminal of the crossover with the mid and the tweeter connected, but without being connected to the amp.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are you using the HPF on the AMP (I know you are using the one on your HU but that only blocks below 125hz)? Ok NM I see you said you had it set.

Do you own, or know anyone with a cc1? If not, you can use your DD-1 to see if you can detect 40hz or 1khz signal at the tweeter output on the crossover. I would imagine neither should be present.

Before they blew, did they sound ok?

Sounded good before the crossovers melted, not sure if the tweeters blew.

Sounds like the tweeters are playing too low, like they are getting signal they shouldn't, almost like the crossovers were wired wrong from the factory. Are you over powering the shit out of them?

Not overpowering the shit out of them, in theory not over powering them at all. Doubt stuff was wired wrong from factory because all 4 crossovers look melted on the tweeter side so I know it's a mistake on my end.

Next time I would check resistance at the input terminal of the crossover with the mid and the tweeter connected, but without being connected to the amp.

I guess in hind sight I sure could check the resistance at the input of the crossover with the amp disconnected, I know what you are saying and I guess I just didn;t think i needed to since i didn;t expect to have problems.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are you using the HPF on the AMP (I know you are using the one on your HU but that only blocks below 125hz)? Ok NM I see you said you had it set.

=)

Do you own, or know anyone with a cc1? If not, you can use your DD-1 to see if you can detect 40hz or 1khz signal at the tweeter output on the crossover. I would imagine neither should be present.

I own a CC-1 but had not hooked it up yet. Next time I will do it three times before powering it on though, lmao

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

The little switch in the middle of the xovers, is that for tweeter att? Or something else?

yes, it;s for the tweeter. -3 and +3 I kept all 4 in the middle

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Ok ... here's my guess ...

I'm assuming that you are cranking these bad boys up so that they can keep up with the sub bass and sound good in the process ...

My guess (from the evidence presented) is that you are overworking your amplifiers ... I know, they should handle this with no problems, but ... something is wrong and the same exact thing happened with other components and another amplifier ...

This is why I NEVER use anything but 2 channel amplifiers. It has been confirmed that high end (mids and highs) amplifiers work alot harder than sub amplifiers ... In Multi channel amplifiers, their power supplys are just not strong enough to handle the job at hand ...

I'd be willing to bet that if you took one component set (in the kicks would be ok) and hook them up with a 2 chamnnel amplifier and see if things don't work better for you ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I'm assuming that you are cranking these bad boys up so that they can keep up with the sub bass and sound good in the process ...

My guess (from the evidence presented) is that you are overworking your amplifiers ... I know, they should handle this with no problems, but ... something is wrong and the same exact thing happened with other components and another amplifier ...

This is why I NEVER use anything but 2 channel amplifiers. It has been confirmed that high end (mids and highs) amplifiers work alot harder than sub amplifiers ... In Multi channel amplifiers, their power supplys are just not strong enough to handle the job at hand ...

I'd be willing to bet that if you took one component set (in the kicks would be ok) and hook them up with a 2 chamnnel amplifier and see if things don't work better for you ...

Big Big possibility of what you say. You know 100000000x more than me, no wait, double that.

Dude, thanks so so so so much for the info and help. Those are some dynamics I am just not thinking about at the moment. :thanx:

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Still kind of processing what you said....... ok, for the time being what can I do with the equipment I have? IF* the crossovers are blown I will have no choice but to run active but then again I truly do not want to blow more stuff. When you say trying to sound good in the process and over working the amplifiers you mean gain too high? In the future is that what you think *could* have saved me this time around?

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

I'm sorry but I can't see it being that amp being over worked,I have the same amp along with 2 other 4 channel RF amps and have no issues with any of them. This is just crazy,I doubt it's voltage since you're electrical is strong so I'm kind of lost. Hope you get this worked out

Archived