GM (buick) 3.8L 3800 series gurus out there?

picking it up tomorrow. Hoping to get a car fax too. The pic above isn't it. I'll post the car a little later.

The Cavi was killed by a drunk driver 3 weeks ago

MAKE SURE the coolant has been changed recently (and at what mileage), and that it doesn't burn any coolant.

ask if the lower/upper intake gaskets have been changed.

my 3800 went on the original dexcool for like 150k miles. now it burns a little coolant because the old acidic dexcool ate away at the plastic gaskets.

also, i'd look into a transgo shift kit for your car. i just put the big springs and spacers inside the accumulator (google for instructions, super helpful forum posts). i put that kit on my 4t65e because i kept setting off the shift adapt code when the trans fluid got warm, which would make the trans pump work at 100% to produce maximum trans fluid pressure to help save the trans. scary ass noises when those gears clunk hard as fuck during shift adapt lol.

• 2 weeks later...

picking it up tomorrow. Hoping to get a car fax too. The pic above isn't it. I'll post the car a little later.

MAKE SURE the coolant has been changed recently (and at what mileage), and that it doesn't burn any coolant.

my 3800 went on the original dexcool for like 150k miles. now it burns a little coolant because the old acidic dexcool ate away at the plastic gaskets.

also, i'd look into a transgo shift kit for your car. i just put the big springs and spacers inside the accumulator (google for instructions, super helpful forum posts). i put that kit on my 4t65e because i kept setting off the shift adapt code when the trans fluid got warm, which would make the trans pump work at 100% to produce maximum trans fluid pressure to help save the trans. scary ass noises when those gears clunk hard as fuck during shift adapt lol.

my 4l60e would do that in my red truck lol. That SoB would shift hard as FUCK! for no reason the first 10-15 minutes you drove it.

3.8+4l60e in a f-body is a pretty nice combo. Intake gaskets and rear main seals are what I hear going bad most of the time. Rear main seal is easy if you have access to a lift. If you can get it for less than $3k with less than 120k miles and a nice interior, your doing pretty good.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

• 1 month later...

im pretty familiar with the 3800. I have built and worked on a ton of HBody and WBody cars

The F body cars don't have coolant issues like the other 3800's because the F body uses the Alum upper intake, and the 95-03 cars use a plastic intake.

check the power steering fluid it its making a whine sound.

I have not heard a belt whine on a 3800 even with high miles.

Take the belt off, and spin all the pullies by hand. Some are Plastic and some are metal, check them for any squeaks

if the car holds good oil pressure, its almost impossible to kill a 3800

2003 SSEi Supercharged

12.50@108mph

Type RF 6.5's Components

Type RF 5.25's Components

HX2 Power 12's

Type RF X2,X4,X7 Amps

True on that I thought my truck jumped off the ground when it shifted like that lol.

The 3.8's are great reliable motors. Almost bulletproof lol

1999 GMC Yukon, 6 PSI platform 5 18's, 4th order bandpass by BHE, Taramps,

The 3.8s are reliably as hell mine started first try after sitting outside for 2 years

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

It's actualy the AC compressor making the noise.

who needs the ac anyways. subs are louder with the windows down :D

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

Archived