Second Skin Audio

Calculating port area with xmax?

shanesauce

Just to make sure - the formulas use Vd. That is the peak to peak swept volume, not one way Xmax.

I think your minimum calculates to 55 sqin, unless I misunderstood something.

In a car, you don't really have to have that much. The port may not operate 100% correctly at maximum driver excursion, but it will work.

Yes, an aero can have less port area. It eliminates a significant amount of port noise. Once again, the port may not operate 100% correctly, but as long as you don't get so small that the system begins to act like a leaky sealed box instead of a ported box, it will be fine.

I would guess ~30-35 sqin is enough for that pair of subs. Or you might could get decent results with one 4" aero.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Just to make sure - the formulas use Vd. That is the peak to peak swept volume, not one way Xmax.

I think your minimum calculates to 55 sqin, unless I misunderstood something.

In a car, you don't really have to have that much. The port may not operate 100% correctly at maximum driver excursion, but it will work.

Yes, an aero can have less port area. It eliminates a significant amount of port noise. Once again, the port may not operate 100% correctly, but as long as you don't get so small that the system begins to act like a leaky sealed box instead of a ported box, it will be fine.

I would guess ~30-35 sqin is enough for that pair of subs. Or you might could get decent results with one 4" aero.

I just typed in the xmax from the website and the amount of drivers and desired tuning and that is what the calculator gave me.

I am honestly just thinking about running external aero's, I didn't want to do it before but it just seems like the smartest thing to do...

In terms of aero it is giving me 6 inches of aero diameter minimum so (2) 3" aero's at 11" long each will give me 32hz and should yield no port noise.

Am I doing this right? I am so tired of trying to get this right lol

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

Okay this is my final idea just let me know if it sounds good.

Build a 1.4 gross sealed box, cut out for (2) 3" aero's at 11 inches in length each giving me a tuning of 32hz.

This gives me 18.84 inches of port area or 6 inches in diameter of port which is optimal according to the calculator.

Sound good? I am ready to build this thing once and for all. Port external not internal

Okay this is my final idea just let me know if it sounds good.

Build a 1.4 gross sealed box, cut out for (2) 3" aero's at 11 inches in length each giving me a tuning of 32hz.

This gives me 18.84 inches of port area or 6 inches in diameter of port which is optimal according to the calculator.

Sound good? I am ready to build this thing once and for all. Port external not internal

Man 1 6" port is about 28 square inches in area 2 3" adds up to 14.1 square inches, don's see what vehicle you are working with or dimensions for a box, power you are using? 2 4" ports have almost the same area as a 6" not two 3", ports in small boxes tend to be very long so slot ports which can turn easily are a likely a better choice. If those are sa-8v2 and you use two 3" you are likely to experience port noise or at least loss of output at the power levels those can take (750+ RMS each).

How accurate is that calculator? For 2 15" subs with an x max of 22mm it say I should have almost 15"diameter port. The most I can fit is 2 6"Ports and that will be with a relatively small box. 5.5cuft net.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

How accurate is that calculator? For 2 15" subs with an x max of 22mm it say I should have almost 15"diameter port. The most I can fit is 2 6"Ports and that will be with a relatively small box. 5.5cuft net.

Did you use the calculator here? http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

15" port is a little big, but not a lot. I did a quick calc and came up with 135 sq in. Two 6" ports is only going to be 56 sq in.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Did you use the calculator here? http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

15" port is a little big, but not a lot. I did a quick calc and came up with 135 sq in. Two 6" ports is only going to be 56 sq in.

That's got me curios. But yeah I used that calx, 2 15" drivers with an xmax of 22mm comes out to 14.8 min diameter. I would have to use 2 7.25" round Ports. There is no way I have room for that...

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

That's got me curios. But yeah I used that calx, 2 15" drivers with an xmax of 22mm comes out to 14.8 min diameter. I would have to use 2 7.25" round Ports. There is no way I have room for that...

(4) 4" aero at 4 inches long would give you the port area you need and the correct tuning. And that wouldn't take up much displacement wise...

Archived