Second Skin Audio

SQ related Sub & Port Question

Colin - STAPUFT

In an enclosure that is geared more towards SQ, what is the best alignment for the Sub and Port?

I would think sub and port on the same part of the box, but it may not make a bit of difference given the application. I just wanted to know what you guys think and have seen.

***And yes, I know lots of "SQ" builds use sealed enclosures. No- this is not going to be that kind of build. It is for the wife's 5.1 setup in her Trailblazer. I am looking to put my Tang-Band woofers in the doors that will play solidly down to about 55 hz, and then run the subs for the low low. Hopefully about 25 hz tune or so.***

Thanks all-

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

It doesn't make a huge difference but having the port mouth a close to the drivers as possible will help the output from each blend together better. Also if you build the box on the smaller side of things it will result in a flatter response curve and less group delay.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It doesn't make a huge difference but having the port mouth a close to the drivers as possible will help the output from each blend together better. Also if you build the box on the smaller side of things it will result in a flatter response curve and less group delay.

Sounds good to me.

BassBox Pro models like you said too. If you go big or stupid big with the box, output jumps way up and low end extension can go buck wild, but it has the tendency to get peaky and bloated. I had a box like that for 4 12"s once. Stupid low, but didn't play very "fast" and not too accurate. Fun for a minute though. ;D Smaller looses a bit of output, but it is worth it for accuracy.

Thanks for the input Brother!

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

If you have room for it, put the sub in a transmission line. Nothing's gonna match the sound quality you can get from a line.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you have room for it, put the sub in a transmission line. Nothing's gonna match the sound quality you can get from a line.

That's a good suggestion. I've always been tempted to build a TL. I don't think space would permit in this application though. There is plenty of room there, but this has to be a properly functional vehicle. I would be surprised if I am "allowed" to get away with as much room as I am likely to take up anyway. Plus, I am going to be using 2 12"s. Unless I did an Isobaric TL, I don't think it is in the cards....

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

That's a good suggestion. I've always been tempted to build a TL. I don't think space would permit in this application though. There is plenty of room there, but this has to be a properly functional vehicle. I would be surprised if I am "allowed" to get away with as much room as I am likely to take up anyway. Plus, I am going to be using 2 12"s. Unless I did an Isobaric TL, I don't think it is in the cards....

One ten in a line in that vehicle will make stupid bass.

And WTF??? Properly functional? Isn't quality bass a base function of a vehicle?

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

:D True. Bass is indeed a necessity.

I know one proper 10 would do well enough. But I want on the verge of too much. Plus- I don't have a 10. But I have plenty of 12"s laying around.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

ported and tuned ... subs back / ports back, right behind the rear seat

39042654085_large.jpg

... and the amplifiers HAVE to be "plum crazy" purple or else the concept just doesn't work ... LOL

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Don't forget using more then enough port area.

Putting the port right next to the driver will be good enough for a good sounding setup.

If you want to get the maximum out of it, you will need to play around with the port placement.

EDIT: the port placement cablguy suggested looks pretty good if that's the car.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

:D True. Bass is indeed a necessity.

I know one proper 10 would do well enough. But I want on the verge of too much. Plus- I don't have a 10. But I have plenty of 12"s laying around.

as long as you have time alignment for the sub stage, and a good flat response ported and tuned enclosure you should be good as long as those 12s are musical and not SPL monsters ...

... or at least give you plenty of room for trail and error

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived