Second Skin Audio

Going Sealed or Staying Ported

Parker Smith

That's almost no port area, might try to get that box built properly first.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Sealed boxes sound "different" than ported, not necessarily better or worse, it just depends on what you are after. The nice part about trucks is since the cabin is pretty small compared to a SUV or full size sedan the cabin gain kicks in at a higher frequency. For this reason I think sealed boxes can sound really good in a truck. With the right drivers and in the right box they can give you a nice flat response, which I like, but not everyone does. If you could figure out a way to test out a pair of sealed 10's and just see if its what you would like I would really recommend you do so.

I just built a box for a guy using four 8"s. He listens to mostly hard rock and couldn't be any happier with it. There is enough cone area to give the system good impact and the tight, flat response works very well with the style of music he enjoys. I don't know if something like this would work for you or not, but I would give it chance if you can.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Me, my box builder, and the shop owner sat for over an hour trying to think of a way to increase the port area with the space limitations I have. I am going back Monday so we will discuss it some more along with maybe going to an 8 instead of staying with a 10. As well as going with the two 10's sealed as an option as well. I'm really just kind of at a stand still. If I wasn't in college and didn't need my back seat and had another vehicle to drive, I would take out my backseat with no hesitation

well, you can get away with a smaller port if you use an aero port. I'm not saying that you should run less port area with an areo port, just they are more efficient so you can get away with less and not notice like you would with a L port.

1 or 2 8" drivers under the seat? I don't know if I just missed what truck, but that works a lot of the time.

Or be a man and get rid of the back and go with some 12" or 15" drivers.

Edit: Flaring ports help tremendously for chuffing, and the maximum usable velocity increases linearly with area ratio, but the is a limiting velocity for port regardless of ratio.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Sealed boxes sound "different" than ported, not necessarily better or worse, it just depends on what you are after. The nice part about trucks is since the cabin is pretty small compared to a SUV or full size sedan the cabin gain kicks in at a higher frequency. For this reason I think sealed boxes can sound really good in a truck. With the right drivers and in the right box they can give you a nice flat response, which I like, but not everyone does. If you could figure out a way to test out a pair of sealed 10's and just see if its what you would like I would really recommend you do so.

I just built a box for a guy using four 8"s. He listens to mostly hard rock and couldn't be any happier with it. There is enough cone area to give the system good impact and the tight, flat response works very well with the style of music he enjoys. I don't know if something like this would work for you or not, but I would give it chance if you can.

I have many friends with both sealed and ported setups. I like a properly done ported setup better but sealed is more forgiving. Which is why I think sealed might be better for my application.

I'm willing to experiment so I guess I could at least try out going sealed and if that's not what I was wanting then I can go from there.

The good thing about experimenting with small drivers is that the wood costs doesn't kick you in the groin like that of multiple large drivers.

1 or 2 8" drivers under the seat? I don't know if I just missed what truck, but that works a lot of the time.

Or be a man and get rid of the back and go with some 12" or 15" drivers.

Edit: Flaring ports help tremendously for chuffing, and the maximum usable velocity increases linearly with area ratio, but the is a limiting velocity for port regardless of ratio.

The truck is a 2002 F150 Supercrew. If I had a 04-present I could do two 8's under the seat and be done with it but the design of my seat is to where the seat doesn't fold up and there are metal braces everywhere underneath it.

And yeah my ideal setup would be two DC XL 15's but like I said I need my back seat haha.

And yeah I could try aero porting it instead of slot port. I didn't think of that. I'll run that by them on Monday as well.

Me, my box builder, and the shop owner sat for over an hour trying to think of a way to increase the port area with the space limitations I have.

Did anyone mention that the Harley trucks had bucket seats in the back? We've done that swap from bench to buckets to gain space back there. Search may take a while to find some but it has been done.

Otherwise custom center console front to back. Or use JL's stealth box as a guideline and build something similar or even consider kind of back-halfing the console. Leave the front where it meets with the dash but from the storage lid back rebuild it and form it in.

There's lots of space in that cab. You just have to get creative.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived