Sonic Electronix

Sound Deadener.. Is it worth it?

In a word YES! It is definitely worth it if you're having vibration/rattling issues.. (Sometimes even if you just want to quiet your ride, luxury cars use it for that reason). It really all comes down to what you're trying to achieve and your application.

It's not going to eliminate EVERY rattle, but it will prevent sound and bass loss which increases quality (less annoying rattles) and SPL.

I chose FatMat Rattle trap for my malibu. Highly recommend!!

Hope that helps! Either way just do your research on any product you buy. Reviews are usually extremely helpful!

Oh btw I only have 1 12" L7 on 750.1 with the FatMat thru out my trunk and it sounds waaay better in cabin and outside than my buddy with 2 12" L7s on 1500.1 with no deadening. To give an example..

In a word YES! It is definitely worth it if you're having vibration/rattling issues.. (Sometimes even if you just want to quiet your ride, luxury cars use it for that reason). It really all comes down to what you're trying to achieve and your application.

It's not going to eliminate EVERY rattle, but it will prevent sound and bass loss which increases quality (less annoying rattles) and SPL.

Hope that helps! Either way just do your research on any product you buy. Reviews are usually extremely helpful!

Oh btw I only have 1 12" L7 on 750.1 with the FatMat thru out my trunk and it sounds waaay better in cabin and outside than my buddy with 2 12" L7s on 1500.1 with no deadening. To give an example..

No they don't. They use sound barriers with a high density, deadener isn't good at blocking sound.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

No they don't. They use sound barriers with a high density, deadener isn't good at blocking sound.

If you want to get scientific and particular then yes you are correct. I was referring to all "sound/vibration" deadeners as a whole, not just the type used for car audio with that statement. Open/closed cell foam, sprays, sheets, backing, etc.

If you want to get scientific and particular then yes you are correct. I was referring to all "sound/vibration" deadeners as a whole, not just the type used for car audio with that statement. Open/closed cell foam, sprays, sheets, backing, etc.

The problem of saying it your way is that there will be people who think deadener will make their car's more quiete, so they buy large amounts of CLD's when you can achieve a better result without spending that much money.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

The problem of saying it your way is that there will be people who think deadener will make their car's more quiete, so they buy large amounts of CLD's when you can achieve a better result without spending that much money.

Yea I can see your point and you are right. Was not trying to imply that dynamat or similar type product is going to quiet the road noise or stop sound. Might help, but definitely not worth buying it if that's the only intended purpose. I was only trying to make the point that sound deadening material is worth it, no matter which application you choose, as long as its consistent with budget and goals. Ie. no need to get 100+ ft of butyl sheets, road kill, etc.

I think we're both on the same page, but just wanted to clarify.

Yes sound deadening would make a difference even with 8" subs. Mainly in the doors where certain frequencies resonate onto the sheet metal. I have used it in all f my doors throughout the years. Dynomat Original. I'm 40 and I can tell you this, we as guys will spend $150 or more over the course of a few weekends to take out a chic if we know we are going to get laid but we become squeamish when we have to fork over money to something we do not necessarily understand. The chic will come and go, the sound deadening will stay and yet we still do not see the validity of it or the value for it lol. Sorry not trying to come across like a jerk. I just find humor in life. And what I'm saying has rang true to some.of.my friends who attempted to.complain about having to shell out money. Trust me, Save up the $$$, take.your chic to Taco Bell, and buy the mat. It really does make a difference.

-Frank

what stuff actually quiets up a car? the foam stuff? I mean which stuff specifically? I see all kinds of options on sites but not sure of the exact ones to get, and i mean lots of options even in the foam ones, little confused as to all the different purposes of each one

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

The original is dynomat. My convertible Bimmer has rubberized dampening material on the rear seat panels, and dynomat like material in the doors and throughout the vehicle. Since adding a sub, there is still some.vibration of the sheet metal I want to deaden. As far as saying which one is better, look at the thickness as well as reviews with ones with adhesion problems.

-Frank

Yes sound deadening would make a difference even with 8" subs. Mainly in the doors where certain frequencies resonate onto the sheet metal. I have used it in all f my doors throughout the years. Dynomat Original. I'm 40 and I can tell you this, we as guys will spend $150 or more over the course of a few weekends to take out a chic if we know we are going to get laid but we become squeamish when we have to fork over money to something we do not necessarily understand. The chic will come and go, the sound deadening will stay and yet we still do not see the validity of it or the value for it lol. Sorry not trying to come across like a jerk. I just find humor in life. And what I'm saying has rang true to some.of.my friends who attempted to.complain about having to shell out money. Trust me, Save up the $$$, take.your chic to Taco Bell, and buy the mat. It really does make a difference.

-Frank

Lol great point!!! But be prepared if you take her to Taco Bell the only thing getting "laid" will be the dynamat lol.

what stuff actually quiets up a car? the foam stuff? I mean which stuff specifically? I see all kinds of options on sites but not sure of the exact ones to get, and i mean lots of options even in the foam ones, little confused as to all the different purposes of each one

Usually MLV barriers - mass loaded vinyl.

Hushmat is one example.. similar to dynamat but has an MLV barrier.

Stinger Road Kill is another example.

There are tons of options and products to choose from, I am no expert so I can't really say which is better or best suited for what you're trying to accomplish

One other thing, I've heard with MLV and trying to quiet the noise floor, it takes alot more than if you were just trying to dampen vibrations (like from a sub). So basically it's ALOT more expensive and time consuming to have a negligible difference. Just my $.02!

Archived