Setting up big computer build + home theatre

None of that is panel specific, that all just depends on what kind of firmware the monitor has.

It is panel specific actually, since many monitor manufacturers do not or will not supply firmware which can utilize the functions, let alone the fact that many 60hz panels do not physically have the hardware to take advantage of a firmware update to enable the features (read as: your panel hardware must support 120hz and/or back-light frequency control to enable the functions).

So unless you're someone like Cirthix from xtremesystems.org there's no way your blanket statement can get around hardware requirements.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Well reading this article, yes Lightboost only works on 120hz monitors, but it is not panel specific. Any TN panel should work with the correct monitor firmware as long as they are 100hz or more. (unless I'm reading this wrong) All lightboost does is strobe the backlight between frames. And while that is a neat tech, and 120hz will defiantly cut down on motion blur, unless you have REALLY bad response time, it will be difficult to notice unless the monitors are side by side.

http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LightBoost

I'm sure the 120hz IPS panel will look better, but to me at least, it doesn't justify the cost increase. Now if I had truckloads of money and didn't care, or if my profession was image quality, I'd spend the money.

I like the debate and info being brought out lol. Helping me out :P

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I say if you have the money and enjoy computers go with 1440p monitor, also buy a calibration kit or whatever it is so that you can get the most out of the monitors as possible.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Here is a better online test, but dedicated hardware should be much better.

Edit: forgot to put the link lol

http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Well reading this article, yes Lightboost only works on 120hz monitors, but it is not panel specific. Any TN panel should work with the correct monitor firmware as long as they are 100hz or more. (unless I'm reading this wrong) All lightboost does is strobe the backlight between frames. And while that is a neat tech, and 120hz will defiantly cut down on motion blur, unless you have REALLY bad response time, it will be difficult to notice unless the monitors are side by side.

http://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.php/LightBoost

I'm sure the 120hz IPS panel will look better, but to me at least, it doesn't justify the cost increase. Now if I had truckloads of money and didn't care, or if my profession was image quality, I'd spend the money.

There are image tests on blurbusters.com that show how much difference can be obtained (and they do not rely on 100hz+ as they are just flash demos based on your vsync rate).

edit - since i'm nice, here's a direct link to the test so you can try it yourself. Even on my 60hz LG W3000H and Toshiba XV648U the difference is readily noticeable. http://www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes&count=3&equalizer=1

Again, if your panel does not have the hardware to support blanking/blacking the strobe there is no firmware that will help regardless of 100hz+ support.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been redoing some of my thoughts on this set up and am changing it a bit. Anyone got an idea on a good Z87 1150 board that can be OCed easily. Can't seem to find any at the moment.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Bump for the computer geeks. Every Z87 board I looked at, every review talked about how bad OCing was on it and how almost all the settings where locked out.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Really? No input?

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm