My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

3 minutes ago, oldsoundguy said:

Yes you did!!!!

I imagine it something big! I hope kick panel, door panel & A-Pillar mods for speakers! lol Go Big brother!

I think I will be doing away with the kicks. Thats all I am telling today. Lol the kicks are not performing well for me. The treatment I did to the doors sound so much better so I will focus on that part. Yes A pillars are still in the Plan. A real nice three way active system high, mids,lows is what I am after. The extra speakers in the kicks dont help with that plan.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Got home today and took out the kicks and P300x2. Will see how it sounds on the way to work tomorrow. I left the power and speaker wire installed just in case I want to use it again. I taped it all off though to be safe.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

So yes it sounds so much better without the kicks. The only way to run two sets would be to put them in the door. Well that's not going to happen.

I got an email from parts express and the Faital pro 3" speakers I ordered are now in stock and on their way to me. The website said end of March to be back in stock so this is good. I also ordered a dash mat to help with reflection off the windshield after I get the A pillars done.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Yep still sounds better without the kicks..... I tried something today on the way home. I have a black fabric sheet about 5'x 6' that I put over the subwoofer box when I park downtown to hide it just incase someone is peeking in the windows. Anyway I stuffed it into the port on the box to seal it up to see what it sounds like. IMO it sounds damn good on rock and sound quality type music. On rap it lacks a bit but still sounds OK. I would like to figure out a way to put a small electric motor on the box with a switch to open and close the port. I wonder if it has been done before? I am going to do some searching on the subject. If not maybe just make a port plug I can reach back and remove depending on what type of music I am in the mood for.

On another note I sold a couple things to help pay for my package coming tomorrow. I sold my VM-1 because my HU has a voltmeter built in and I sold a set of Soundqubed 6.5 two way coax speakers.  I sold a bank of carbs from a Yamaha FZ1 on my motorcycle forum so I am close to paying for my package that is coming tomorrow. Still have a few things for sale. Check them out on the FS thread. I have a soundqubed 120.4 for sale 150 shipped. I have my RE audio xxx 6.5 component set for 125 shipped. I have a set of CT Sounds Meso 5.25 component set that I took out of my kicks for 50 bucks shipped and a set of AQ 6.5 three way coax speakers for 30 bucks shipped.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

The close port and open has been done before. But that would mean the internal volume would have to change for sealed and prob smaller. Aka port plug. I've also seen guys build enclosures with interchangeable ports: 1 for everyday listening and the other for SPL.

You might be able to use a mini DSP to add to the DSP in the head unit to run everything. With speakers in so many different places it might be the only way to have them sound natural. You have tried so many speakers and swapped things in and out so much, I wonder if it might help to break them in before giving up on anything. Some mids and tweets can take a long time to sweeten up if they are really stiff. I ran a sealed box back in the day and it still is one of the best sounding boxes I have ever had. What is your port tuned to? You might be able to tune lower to level out the response curve like 23hz or something. Keep up the good work, I know its a lot of fun buying and trying new things. I am eyeballing that amp you have for sale. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I wont need a DSP now. I have figured out a way to use the 80prs, a two way component set and a 3" mid with subwoofer to run semi active. I call it that because passive crossovers will be used in conjunction with the standard mode HPF crossovers and the amp crossovers to achieve what I want. It will require running two amplifiers so all speakers will be running @ 4 ohms off their own channel. I will run the mid woofer of the component set off the P300x2 using the woofer passive crossover which allows the mid to play from 3500hz and lower. I will use the rear channel of the HU to run this. I will set the HPF on the HU to 80hz so the woofer will be band passed 80hz to 3500hz.

Then I will use the front channels and the Y splitter on the 5 channel and wire the tweeters with their passive crossovers. They allow me to select three HPF settings 4k, 4.5k and 5k with 0, -3 and -6 db settings. I will wire the 3" faitalpro  to the 5 channel also and run the amp HPF and run the HU at full pass and set the crossover at 250HZ. If they can play lower then I will full pass the amp and use the HU HPF to cross them lower.

The reason for putting the woofer on the rear channel is that it has a level control of +6 to -24 where the front channel has 0 to -24 so I would be able to add a bit of volume to the mid woofer if needed and still be able to lower the level control on the tweeters and 3" if I needed.

How does that sound?

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

1 hour ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Keep up the good work, I know its a lot of fun buying and trying new things. I am eyeballing that amp you have for sale. lol

Buy it buy it buy it..... lol

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

8 hours ago, oldsoundguy said:

I wont need a DSP now. I have figured out a way to use the 80prs, a two way component set and a 3" mid with subwoofer to run semi active. I call it that because passive crossovers will be used in conjunction with the standard mode HPF crossovers and the amp crossovers to achieve what I want. It will require running two amplifiers so all speakers will be running @ 4 ohms off their own channel. I will run the mid woofer of the component set off the P300x2 using the woofer passive crossover which allows the mid to play from 3500hz and lower. I will use the rear channel of the HU to run this. I will set the HPF on the HU to 80hz so the woofer will be band passed 80hz to 3500hz.

Then I will use the front channels and the Y splitter on the 5 channel and wire the tweeters with their passive crossovers. They allow me to select three HPF settings 4k, 4.5k and 5k with 0, -3 and -6 db settings. I will wire the 3" faitalpro  to the 5 channel also and run the amp HPF and run the HU at full pass and set the crossover at 250HZ. If they can play lower then I will full pass the amp and use the HU HPF to cross them lower.

The reason for putting the woofer on the rear channel is that it has a level control of +6 to -24 where the front channel has 0 to -24 so I would be able to add a bit of volume to the mid woofer if needed and still be able to lower the level control on the tweeters and 3" if I needed.

How does that sound?

That sounds good. So will you be able to use the dsp time alignment? The 3" and tweet should be able to use the same alignment since they are close together, the mid in the door gets another output because it needs a different alignment. It sounds like that's what you were planning?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived