oldsoundguy

My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

1,128 posts in this topic

If that was your plan to mount them to plastic door panels i would rethink that. Too nice of equipment to not install them properly.

1 person likes this

If that was your plan to mount them to plastic door panels i would rethink that. Too nice of equipment to not install them properly.

Ok so ya that was what I was thinking. Well I guess I could cut a pieced of MDF to cover the hole in the door itself, cut a hole for the magnet and then put a couple MDF rings on it to space it out. Then it would be attached to the door and not the door panel. I will have to install the grill to the plastic to cover the hole in the door panel.

Its a 99 Toyota Tacoma.

Edited by oldsoundguy
1 person likes this

There ya go, that'll work, just make sure to deaden the hell out of the door cavity! Also, you might want to treat (waterproof) the mdf so if it gets wet it doesn't mold and decompose in your doors over time.

1 person likes this

There ya go, that'll work, just make sure to deaden the hell out of the door cavity! Also, you might want to treat (waterproof) the mdf so if it gets wet it doesn't mold and decompose in your doors over time.

The door is deadened inside and out. Just need to get to work on it. Might have time to work on it tomorrow after work. Get it all laid out and figure out how far I need to space it for it to work. May need to take a dremel to the inside of the door panel but not a big deal.

That sounds much better. If your a little thick on the MDF to were the panel bulges out a little thats ok, better than having it to thin and space between. Nice tight fit with sound deadener and you'll be happy with yor install and system. Going back and redoing installs can suck and be even more time consuming. Take pics of your doors during install and share please. Good luck

Got to work on the door panels. I cut a piece of 3/4 " mdf to the shape of the door opening were the stock speaker went. Then cut two 3/4" speaker rings. I installed the piece on the door then put the door panel on with no clips to get the rings as centered as I could to the door panel itself. Marked it with a sharpie. I took it back off and glued and stapled the first ring to the door panel piece. Then I glued the final ring to the next and stapled it. Clamped it up and its drying. I traced the door panel piece for the other side, cut two more rings and the door panel piece. I will do them the next time I work on it. Here are pics of the one side glued and clamped.

th_20131224_113141_zpsx7saarfo.jpg

Edited by oldsoundguy

Looks like your on the right track, keep the pics coming when you put your panel back together. I think those speakers are awesome, if i wasnt such a RF nut on this build of mine i would consider those from up front. They just look sick! keep up the good work man!

1 person likes this

Only thing I am concerned about is the stock door panel. I will have to cut the plastic for the speaker pod that's attached to the door for the speaker to fit. Might have to make some kind of trim panel that would fit in between the speaker and the door panel to cover it up. Will have to see how much I have to cut out of the door panel for it to fit first. Then I can tackle the next step.

Only thing I am concerned about is the stock door panel. I will have to cut the plastic for the speaker pod that's attached to the door for the speaker to fit. Might have to make some kind of trim panel that would fit in between the speaker and the door panel to cover it up. Will have to see how much I have to cut out of the door panel for it to fit first. Then I can tackle the next step.

That's the exact issue I ran into. And if you don't get a tight seal between your speaker mount and the plastic door panel then you will get a mild form of cancellation/vibration from the plastic panel. (Sounds fine until you turn it up then it sounds like crap, mid bass craps out and even the midrange starts to sound a bit muffled).

If you can get a tight seal from the speaker ring to the plastic panel you should be good to go, and that's probably the best way to mount and get the most of these things.

Interested to see what you come up with and how you cover the ginormous gaping hole you have to cut in your plastic panel. Haha.

That's the exact issue I ran into. And if you don't get a tight seal between your speaker mount and the plastic door panel then you will get a mild form of cancellation/vibration from the plastic panel. (Sounds fine until you turn it up then it sounds like crap, mid bass craps out and even the midrange starts to sound a bit muffled).

If you can get a tight seal from the speaker ring to the plastic panel you should be good to go, and that's probably the best way to mount and get the most of these things.

Interested to see what you come up with and how you cover the ginormous gaping hole you have to cut in your plastic panel. Haha.

Going to try not to cut a ginormous gaping hole. LOL May just take the whole plastic part off the door panel and make my own out of fiberglass that would mount separate from the door panel with the speaker pod. I have a couple ideas floating around in my head. Will take more research and studying the interweb.

OH and BTW good news for me. DC alt emailed me a tracking number for my alternator. Should be here by Friday.. Hell Ya!!!

Here is what I did my first time...

549F0195-F582-4E00-B532-3220A4492B64.jpg

Sorry for thread jacking, just trying to help you not make the mistakes I made when first installing these.

There isn't many references on the net to these... No manual, not even on RE's website (there's one for the xxx6.9c, but not 6.5). Most of the stuff I have seen on them are mixed trial an error reviews.

Anyway good luck, keep updating with results and your opinions.