My small build , "New Focal component set" Pg 89

Looks like your on the right track, keep the pics coming when you put your panel back together. I think those speakers are awesome, if i wasnt such a RF nut on this build of mine i would consider those from up front. They just look sick! keep up the good work man!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing I am concerned about is the stock door panel. I will have to cut the plastic for the speaker pod that's attached to the door for the speaker to fit. Might have to make some kind of trim panel that would fit in between the speaker and the door panel to cover it up. Will have to see how much I have to cut out of the door panel for it to fit first. Then I can tackle the next step.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Only thing I am concerned about is the stock door panel. I will have to cut the plastic for the speaker pod that's attached to the door for the speaker to fit. Might have to make some kind of trim panel that would fit in between the speaker and the door panel to cover it up. Will have to see how much I have to cut out of the door panel for it to fit first. Then I can tackle the next step.

That's the exact issue I ran into. And if you don't get a tight seal between your speaker mount and the plastic door panel then you will get a mild form of cancellation/vibration from the plastic panel. (Sounds fine until you turn it up then it sounds like crap, mid bass craps out and even the midrange starts to sound a bit muffled).

If you can get a tight seal from the speaker ring to the plastic panel you should be good to go, and that's probably the best way to mount and get the most of these things.

Interested to see what you come up with and how you cover the ginormous gaping hole you have to cut in your plastic panel. Haha.

That's the exact issue I ran into. And if you don't get a tight seal between your speaker mount and the plastic door panel then you will get a mild form of cancellation/vibration from the plastic panel. (Sounds fine until you turn it up then it sounds like crap, mid bass craps out and even the midrange starts to sound a bit muffled).

If you can get a tight seal from the speaker ring to the plastic panel you should be good to go, and that's probably the best way to mount and get the most of these things.

Interested to see what you come up with and how you cover the ginormous gaping hole you have to cut in your plastic panel. Haha.

Going to try not to cut a ginormous gaping hole. LOL May just take the whole plastic part off the door panel and make my own out of fiberglass that would mount separate from the door panel with the speaker pod. I have a couple ideas floating around in my head. Will take more research and studying the interweb.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

OH and BTW good news for me. DC alt emailed me a tracking number for my alternator. Should be here by Friday.. Hell Ya!!!

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

Here is what I did my first time...

549F0195-F582-4E00-B532-3220A4492B64.jpg

Sorry for thread jacking, just trying to help you not make the mistakes I made when first installing these.

There isn't many references on the net to these... No manual, not even on RE's website (there's one for the xxx6.9c, but not 6.5). Most of the stuff I have seen on them are mixed trial an error reviews.

Anyway good luck, keep updating with results and your opinions.

So what does it look like now?? Any help would be appreciated.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

I never finished those in the pic bc of the sound issues I had. So I decided to rethink it, and in the midst of redoing them. I'm going with sealed pods (approx .25 cubes) attached to the plastic panel, similar concept as my first, only I'm taking the door cavity out of the equation.

Here's a pic of where I'm at so far.. Base mold

1AB110E2-761C-4DE3-94F2-E8B88D3B6137.jpg

If I could do it all over I would do it the way you are thinking, it's much simpler and bigger airspace to work with, but since I cut my door panels up and like fiberglassing, it'll be trial n error til I find what I like.

From what I have been able to find, it seems they work "best" in sealed (.25 - .45 cubes) off-axis, with tweets on-axis. But like I said alot of the info is mixed.

So your first attempt was to just attach them to the door panels and not the door?

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

yes thats what he warned you about when i warned you, your first idea of mounting them to JUST the panel was no good, But if the MDF is secured to the door and speakers thru panel secured to MDF you would have a better sound with less rattle.

Archived