Powering a SAZ-1200D in my Ranger

SMD forums i would like your input and suggestions regarding an upgrade i am planning for my system.

I recently purchased a Sundown X-10 d2 and a SAZ-1200D and just want to make sure i'm going to be completely satisfied when everything comes together during the install. In my Ranger right now i have a Mechman S Series 170 amp alternator, Audiotechnix Big 3 kit (0 ga) and have a rebranded (Motomaster) Northstar AGM 65 series battery under the hood.

I don't really plan on entering any type of competitions with my stereo (only 1 or 2 around these parts in the summer AFIAK) i just want to have a good sounding system with a 40/60 blend of SPL and SQ respectively. If i can i will enter a competition but just to satisfy my curiosity more than trying to win anything. I would also like to have the ability to play music for at least an hour at about 40-50% volume with the vehicle not running without having to worry about killing my batteries or needing a boost from someone.

With all of the above in mind these are the questions i have for you folks.

1) What should i use for a secondary power source? I was thinking of just getting another one of the 65 series batteries i already have.

2) Will 4 gauge wiring be sufficient? or would i be better off just going with 0 gauge from the front to the 2nd battery and amp with some terminal adapters for the ampifier?

3) Can i or rather should i run a 2nd power wire & ground from the alternator to the secondary power source?

4) This one's not really power related, would the X-10 sub be suitable for use in a sealed enclosure? keeping in mind i'm not going after a completely SPL dedicated system?

Thats all the questions i have for now, please feel free to ask me for any information that i might not have included in my description above. I have also have my current (is that a pun?) set-up described in my signature below.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

SMD forums i would like your input and suggestions regarding an upgrade i am planning for my system.

I recently purchased a Sundown X-10 d2 and a SAZ-1200D and just want to make sure i'm going to be completely satisfied when everything comes together during the install. In my Ranger right now i have a Mechman S Series 170 amp alternator, Audiotechnix Big 3 kit (0 ga) and have a rebranded (Motomaster) Northstar AGM 65 series battery under the hood.

I don't really plan on entering any type of competitions with my stereo (only 1 or 2 around these parts in the summer AFIAK) i just want to have a good sounding system with a 40/60 blend of SPL and SQ respectively. If i can i will enter a competition but just to satisfy my curiosity more than trying to win anything. I would also like to have the ability to play music for at least an hour at about 40-50% volume with the vehicle not running without having to worry about killing my batteries or needing a boost from someone.

With all of the above in mind these are the questions i have for you folks.

1) What should i use for a secondary power source? I was thinking of just getting another one of the 65 series batteries i already have.

Adding a second bat is always good.

2) Will 4 gauge wiring be sufficient? or would i be better off just going with 0 gauge from the front to the 2nd battery and amp with some terminal adapters for the ampifier?

I would run 1/0 front to rear. Length of run plays HUGE on capacity .... Imho. If your run is short, and the amp calls for 4g, youll be fine. But, you can always go bigger.

3) Can i or rather should i run a 2nd power wire & ground from the alternator to the secondary power source?

For your needs, 1 hot run will be fine.

4) This one's not really power related, would the X-10 sub be suitable for use in a sealed enclosure? keeping in mind i'm not going after a completely SPL dedicated system?

Never even seen that sub, i dont know.

Thats all the questions i have for now, please feel free to ask me for any information that i might not have included in my description above. I have also have my current (is that a pun?) set-up described in my signature below.

That help or no... its what i got.... good luck. Let us know how it goes

Thank you for your input KyLar. It will help me plan for this upgrade

I had a good idea of what i need for this, but it's always a good idea i think to get others opinions.

Not that i didn't get my answer from KyLar, but if anyone else wants to chime in.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

Like already said, 1/0 is always best, but not necessary. A quality 4 gauge (knukoncepts or sky high) will do the job just fine. As for a second battery, something like a shuriken sk-bt35 should suffice. But as with wire bigger is better. As for running sealed, I would ask sundown. Shoot them an email, they always seem to be speedy and helpful.

Thank you for your input KyLar. It will help me plan for this upgrade

I had a good idea of what i need for this, but it's always a good idea i think to get others opinions.

Not that i didn't get my answer from KyLar, but if anyone else wants to chime in.

No worries, Call me Kyle ;) . What i mentioned is probably more than you need. But, when you choose to wire down, or up grade, what i suggested would be on par.

Like already said, 1/0 is always best, but not necessary. A quality 4 gauge (knukoncepts or sky high) will do the job just fine. As for a second battery, something like a shuriken sk-bt35 should suffice. But as with wire bigger is better. As for running sealed, I would ask sundown. Shoot them an email, they always seem to be speedy and helpful.

I agree... OP doesnt even need a second bat i feel. But, .... we all know how this goes. Same with the 4g run.

I know dick of the driver, and the sealed aspect,.. ill go in the corner, grab a drink and fap on that one.

With my set up i have now, i'm no stranger to overkill. Really though it is nothing much after looking at what some folks have going on around here.

I guess the only question i have now is how do i figure out how much capacity i need to run the system at about 50% volume for about an hour with the ignition off and not worry about killing the battery.

I will e-mail Sundown asking about the options of fapping running the X-10 in a sealed enclosure, I have no issues with building a ported box, just want to explore all my options.

O guage

Xs3400 under hood

Don't let that fat foam fool you. It has no motor force that thick foam cuts into effective cone area and more power will just make it flop around. You have to be able to control the power. Good spl sub is zv4 an zv3

They like to be tuned low around 29-30hz an sound beautiful to music.. more sq subs

09 mustang gt

O guage

Xs3400 under hood

Don't let that fat foam fool you. It has no motor force that thick foam cuts into effective cone area and more power will just make it flop around. You have to be able to control the power. Good spl sub is zv4 an zv3

They like to be tuned low around 29-30hz an sound beautiful to music.. more sq subs

I already have nearly the equivilent of a D6500 under the hood in the form of the Northstar group 65 battery which has 15 less minutes of reserve capacity, only difference i saw in the numbers betwwen the two.

I am looking for a 40/60 balance of SPL and SQ, respectively. Which is why i'm staying around rated rms with the SAZ-1200D rather than using the 1500D.

No offence, but did you even read my original post in this thread?

I have planned to be tuned at 30hz with this X-10, which i did not mention.

Archived