any nuclear physicists in here by chance?

Yeah First year physics does a great job of really being a survey of the breadth and scope of Physics. As you progress into higher physics classes all you really are doing is refining your ability to solve problems and gaining a deeper understanding of the concepts involved. The only topic that I feel that first year physics can't cover very well is general relativity it just requires too much mathematical sophistication for a course that could be part of someone's gen ed :P btw OP I plugged in the numbers as well and came to the same answer as you. Sorry it took so long to reply; I've been working also out of curiosity what is your major?

It makes high school physics quite boring because god forbid, one person in the class understands entropy and astronomical phenomenons well enough to converse about it, but it would leave all the other kids out so we can't discuss it........................... if you were to tell people that we know time dilation was an observable occurrence because we know time is essentially "linear" because time is a parametric variable, and the 4th that spans the space described by the Minkowski metric, they would not have a clue as to what was being said most likely. And then you explain simply that if time did not exist, the speed of light would be a meaningless concept, and it would be impossible to explain the observed natural phenomena predicted by special and general relativity.

Buuuttttt no, you say that anytime before the last day of school, and you will never get those kids to stop asking questions about "time travel"...............

I can't wait to finish up these Chem/Bio classes so I can get in the Physics w/ Calc courses, I'm surrounded by people who think their minds could not be more blown than learning that the whales pelvis shows us that used to walk on land..............................or that (assuming that evolutionary aspect of the theory is 100% accurate) we would all be dead if it wasn't for the "donut" in the chemical-structure of ice.........

I can't tell you how many times in 1 day I wish Bill Nye would crash a rocket into the classroom and spare me from the minds of these people sometimes.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Ok been awhile and im really rusty (physics major many years ago) but the average us power consumption is in the neighborhood of 29.26 petawatts = 29260000000000 kwh annually. if the specific energy output of u-235 is 83,140,00 joules per kg, 1 joule = .28 kwh that equals 23279200 kwh per kg of output. it seems the answer would be total power consumption in kwh divided by kwh potential power output per kg equals total kg necessary in this case 1256916 kg, or 285 tons of u-235. which seems like alot considering the actual amount of natural uranium available. Of course of that total only about .72% is actual u-235 by unit weight the rest of the uranium is u-238 and other isotopes. Again im really rusty, it's really early, and i think theres a small fuzzy animal living in my brain this morning due to the alcohol consumed in the last 24 hours. Hopefully someone smarter than me will step in and give a better more definitive answer.

oooohhh!!!!!!!!! I know what I did wrong... :Doh: I did some bad mental math with my scientific conversions and when I divided jueles wanted by jueles per atom I added my exponents instead of inverting and then adding my exponents... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

... I think...

came up with 1133728.125kg of U235 would produce 9.3e19 J assuming a perfect fission

I come up with 1118595kg=1.1*10^6kg, this is a rough estimate using a simple equation. (Eventhough it's not that hard to figure out correctly)

So you have probably found the correct answer.

It's Joules, not jueles :P (I guess you got a little too excited typing this)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Ok been awhile and im really rusty (physics major many years ago) but the average us power consumption is in the neighborhood of 29.26 petawatts = 29260000000000 kwh annually. if the specific energy output of u-235 is 83,140,00 joules per kg, 1 joule = .28 kwh that equals 23279200 kwh per kg of output. it seems the answer would be total power consumption in kwh divided by kwh potential power output per kg equals total kg necessary in this case 1256916 kg, or 285 tons of u-235. which seems like alot considering the actual amount of natural uranium available. Of course of that total only about .72% is actual u-235 by unit weight the rest of the uranium is u-238 and other isotopes. Again im really rusty, it's really early, and i think theres a small fuzzy animal living in my brain this morning due to the alcohol consumed in the last 24 hours. Hopefully someone smarter than me will step in and give a better more definitive answer.

Forgot the 1 infront of 285 tons :) (so it's 1285tons)

(But he used 9.3 x 10^19 J as the power.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Of course there is. This is the internet you know.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Yeah First year physics does a great job of really being a survey of the breadth and scope of Physics. As you progress into higher physics classes all you really are doing is refining your ability to solve problems and gaining a deeper understanding of the concepts involved. The only topic that I feel that first year physics can't cover very well is general relativity it just requires too much mathematical sophistication for a course that could be part of someone's gen ed :P btw OP I plugged in the numbers as well and came to the same answer as you. Sorry it took so long to reply; I've been working also out of curiosity what is your major?

computer science right now, I had to have 2 semesters of science and I figured that for that major physics woulda been the most helpful... didn't realize that physics sucks lol and I wasn't even taking the stuff that requires you to know calculus I was taking the stuff that they give you the equations to use and you don't have to know how or why they work cuz most of them it took calculus to get them lol

oooohhh!!!!!!!!! I know what I did wrong... :Doh: I did some bad mental math with my scientific conversions and when I divided jueles wanted by jueles per atom I added my exponents instead of inverting and then adding my exponents... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

... I think...

came up with 1133728.125kg of U235 would produce 9.3e19 J assuming a perfect fission

I come up with 1118595kg=1.1*10^6kg, this is a rough estimate using a simple equation. (Eventhough it's not that hard to figure out correctly)

So you have probably found the correct answer.

It's Joules, not jueles :P (I guess you got a little too excited typing this)

lol oops yea that's what I meant lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

I sort of wish I had done comp sci, but by time I took first comp sci class I was only 3 semesters away from graduating :-(. Oh well. At least you should be getting close to being done with Physics as soon as finals are over.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Give a call to Sony Studios and ask to speak with Dr. Octavius. I think you will have a much faster response.

87' Astro Van (build in progress) (slowly)HU: Kenwood BT952HDAmps: BB2400.1(2), BB150.4Subs: Obsidian Audio 15 D2 V2 (4)Mids/Highs: Pioneer TSD 1602RWires: Sky High Car Audio/Audio Technics

Archived