Sundown Audio

Newbie advice- Sufficent electrical?

dh465

So i know that the aq2200 is not technically stable on .5 ohm but i was wondering what the MINIMUM requirements to SAFELY run this on half an ohm would be. I am pushing a Skar ZVX 18in' dual 1 ohm. this was bad planning on my part because i planned on strapping 2 skar 750.1D and giving it rated power on 2 ohms - my amps decided not to cooperate with each other and kevins employee has taken more than 2 months to get back to me on the warrenty.

Anyways i now have an aq2200 (with much skar distain) and am running on 2 ohm but would like to run on half. my electrical isnt very good but i was wondering if it would be able to safely power my AQ (if this amp deteriates from "natural causes" in less than a year i will be very upset.)

my electrical is a stock alternator 110amps (i beleive) with a 850 CCA liquid acid duralast under the hood, in addition to this i also have a XS D-975 in the Truck. The big three has still not been done ( i plan on getting around to this at some point before wiring to .5)

Also my box is pretty small. 4.1 cubes

I guess this leads to a second question is box rise present when the ohm load is read and the speaker is off - sitting in the box? or can the true resistance only be calculated through clamp tests?

currently my speaker is reading 2.3-2.4 ohms in the box could i expect this .3-.4 increase on a .5 ohm load? or could i do something ridiclous sounding to increase resistance like say using 20 feet of speaker wire?

My main concern here is safety, i dont want to break anything trying to get louder than my electrical can handle but i want to maximize my spl as safely as i can.

forgot to add that i have really good grounds with 0 ohm impedance

That amp is under rated so more like close to 3k watts . After your car eats half of the amps your alternator produces then your left with enough power to maybe run a 500 watt amp with no problems. Your batteries cannot supply enough power to that amp quickly and be charged by the next time the beat drops thus straining your alternator most likely damage it over time. I tried to do do what you did once but all that happens is one battery drains then other until they are pretty much dead. And you should get your big 3 done asap since stock electrical ground and power is always around 8 gauge or smaller so your not getting your alts full power .

what size additional battery should i be running in order to wire to .5?

i am extreamly unimpressed with the this zvx as its only ~25% louder than my 2 boss phantom 12's.

I am hoping this subwoofer will shine when i give it more power but as of now when turned up to full tilt (mild 2 ohm clipping),

it barely has any "visual bass" as only the rearview mirror and side mirrors demonstrate any shaking.

I know this speaker can preform to my expectations but for some reason it isnt i fell i should be seeing more power than i am getting and am very confused.

dont do it unless you plan on upgrading batts and alt

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

what size additional battery should i be running in order to wire to .5?

i am extreamly unimpressed with the this zvx as its only ~25% louder than my 2 boss phantom 12's.

I am hoping this subwoofer will shine when i give it more power but as of now when turned up to full tilt (mild 2 ohm clipping),

it barely has any "visual bass" as only the rearview mirror and side mirrors demonstrate any shaking.

I know this speaker can preform to my expectations but for some reason it isnt i fell i should be seeing more power than i am getting and am very confused.

Its not about adding more batteries but more of upgrading what actually gives you that power = your alternator. Unless your charging those batteries every day then you will never get enough power to the amp and that's why your sub barely moves having so little power being feed to it. So your priority should be getting a different alternator if you don't want to damage anything and finally see your amp and sub perform.

okay that makes sense i read a few forums on .5 electrical and one of the posts said he'd be fine as long as his alternator was at least 100 amps, although he had a decent stockpile of batteries - 4 kinetiks i beleive. if these no way to do it without upgrading my alternator then i wont because it makes sense that a problem would form if im pulling ~80 amps and only charging 50-60. I suppose i was basing my power solely off my voltage drop - which is minimal.

So i got this idea in my head last night and i feel its a really stupid idea and i shouldnt do it, but i was hoping for an explaination as to why this is so stupid.

If i wire my speaker to .5 ohm can i increase the resistance of this load by using a shit ton of excessive wire to bump my resistance up to 1-1.2 ohm area?

iv never heard this mentioned in the context of increasing resistance though, i realise it is far from ideal but is it possible?

thanks for the help guys now that i spend real money on my audio system i just want to make sure nothing blows up.

Do Big 3 in 1/0 preferably OFC and Big HO alternator. Also i would upgrade your underhood battery to the biggest xs power that will fit and get a XS d3100 for the back and you should be good.

also you may want to build a new box. that could be part of your problem.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I'm not familiar with the amp so I can't give you advice that is 100% accurate . And whoever gave that guy advice on only running an 100 amp alt with that many batteries must be crazy and not thinking about how much beating that alt would take to charge that many batteries plus supply power for your cars main battery. So to keep it short. A high output alternator and one extra battery will always be better than one stock alternator and 5 batteries. Unless and only unless your charging your batteries every day and even then I wouldn't do that.

okay that makes sense i read a few forums on .5 electrical and one of the posts said he'd be fine as long as his alternator was at least 100 amps, although he had a decent stockpile of batteries - 4 kinetiks i beleive. if these no way to do it without upgrading my alternator then i wont because it makes sense that a problem would form if im pulling ~80 amps and only charging 50-60. I suppose i was basing my power solely off my voltage drop - which is minimal.

So i got this idea in my head last night and i feel its a really stupid idea and i shouldnt do it, but i was hoping for an explaination as to why this is so stupid.

If i wire my speaker to .5 ohm can i increase the resistance of this load by using a shit ton of excessive wire to bump my resistance up to 1-1.2 ohm area?

iv never heard this mentioned in the context of increasing resistance though, i realise it is far from ideal but is it possible?

thanks for the help guys now that i spend real money on my audio system i just want to make sure nothing blows up.

Excess wire doesn't give more resistance, if that was the case quite a few people on here would be in a deep hole.

Honestly if I was you I would get the big 3 done. Saying you're unimpressed with the gear when you are running that amp on completely stock electrical is just not thinking. All that wiring wasn't designed to pull 2kw+ through it. Upgrade your electrical and feed that amp properly before you think about wiring down.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Excess wire doesn't give more resistance, if that was the case quite a few people on here would be in a deep hole.

Honestly if I was you I would get the big 3 done. Saying you're unimpressed with the gear when you are running that amp on completely stock electrical is just not thinking. All that wiring wasn't designed to pull 2kw+ through it. Upgrade your electrical and feed that amp properly before you think about wiring down.

Say no to amp abuse ^_^

Archived