Second Skin Audio

how do i figure out how big i have to make the port?

GueroZ28

Thanks for regurgitating information that I stated, I stated that I can reference detailed tests done. These tests run from the two men who set the world standard for speaker parameters, JBL a company that pioneered many technologies in the speaker industry, a man with a 35-year career working at the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (during the Apollo era), members on here, Vance Dickason whom has contributed tremendously to the audio world, and has won many awards for his work, along with many other sources which have detailed explanations on this topic.

If you would like I can present you with links to these studies as to you can see them as well.

That being said, with the way in which a car works, you can get away with less than the recommended port area. You can even use significantly small ports for high SPL builds. It's all about the sacrifices you are will to make for your system.

You must be new to stereos, if all you can do is quote things that guys did long ago. The work NASA did with sound testing was far from building a ported sub box.

I must have forgotten that proven work, and the laws of physics don't apply in audio. Oops...

Anyway this is from Authur Ludwig Sr. (the engineer from NASA)

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/contents.htm

This work wasn't done for NASA it was done by himself to amuse himself and spread his knowledge. I will no longer participate in this back in forth since you have boiled down to flat out insulting me.

If you have any work that is documented and can explain your side of the document then please send it to me, but do so through pm as to avoid further clutter to this thread.

Edit: spelling

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I must have forgotten that proven work, and the laws of physics don't apply in audio. Oops...

Anyway this is from Authur Ludwig Sr. (the engineer from NASA)

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/contents.htm

This work wasn't done for NASA it was done by himself to amuse himself and spread his knowledge. I will no longer participate in this back in forth since you have boiled down to flat out insulting me.

If you have any work that is documented and can explain your side of the document then please send it to me, but do so through pm as to avoid further clutter to this thread.

Edit: spelling

Why don't you just go build a box from that calculator posted, and post back here with the results. Then you will stop quoting things you hardly know anything about.

I will apologize if my view point offends you and you experience, and please share with me your proof or any other proof of how a larger port area affects bandwidth, and or peaks in the response; as you have not tried to prove your side of the argument, or I missed it, but if not you can once again stop directly insulting me.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Dude you have made like 3 different threads asking the same thing...

Give me the max dimensions you have to work with and will give you all your specs and a cut list.

I know but i felt like i had to more specific.. i dont have them now cuz i lost where i wrote them down...but will tell u in the morning... Also i actually want to learn how to be able to find it myself.. so ive been looking for "explanations"

What will happen is you will find individual's preference. A lot of what you see well be guys that push the port area per square foot idea. A range of what the port should be in to operate as a port, and at the same time, avoid noise. It's going to come down to you taking and figuring out what YOU like as well. Some go by Xmax, cone area and tuning. Some go by a rule of thumb because in practice, they've never seen the need for so much port. The vehicle plays a major role in what kind of port area you will need with cabin gain and acoustics.

You will have to make your own decision and see what suits you. Minimum port area to just barely avoid noise or a bigger port where you don't have to worry about noise. I will say this, I wonder if the guys that go on the smaller side of port area and are loud on the meter are experiencing power compression(port noise), and it's the TURBULENCE that's allowing them to get louder? This has made me wonder for quite some time

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Dude you have made like 3 different threads asking the same thing...

Give me the max dimensions you have to work with and will give you all your specs and a cut list.

Max dimensions are

Length- 33inches

Width- 16inches

Height- 13inches

Box recommended amount of air space for the subs is 1.65cu ft

It will need to be sub/port up due to the lack of depth but taller since your dimensions are insufficient, 17 tall, or not as tall if you can go wider.

so what dimensions csn I use without going over and pointing it up.. also I can go wider from front to back not sides to sides

Archived