89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

So I'm thinking of not jumping straight to the higher end amps or subs, I'll go mid level. 2-4k , and a single sub. Simpler center console, not as much fiberglass, just to get a feel for it.

Then go from there.

So my eye has fallen on the SQ(Sound Quebed) brand and the CT sounds brand, they both kick ass, I like the look of both. I haven't really found the pricing for the CT sounds, and I've heard that they are like hard to get or something. (dunno what's going on) Now budget is not going to be too much of a concern, but I still like the bang for the buck.

Also, I'm going to steal the battery from the van, it's just sitting there, with a new battery in it, rotting. I'll put it to better use. (Don't get all crooked either, it's our van)

Had a bunch of stuff going on, so haven't gotten to the truck yet, but trust me, I want to throw that battery in there and get the wire in too.

More and more I want some polyfill and deadener to damp all the chatter inside. Damplifier pro looks to be some really nice stuff, is there a rival product out there?

I want to grab a B-stock shop pack in the future, 40lbs of silence, can't imagine how nice that would be. I rattle too much, it's not cool anymore.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

If I were going extreme SQ, which of these HUs would provide the most complete package as far as tunability? (I don't care about blue tooth or other connectivity it just has to have a USB)

SQ and tunability are the only concern.

Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X997

Alpine-CDE-HD149BT

Pioneer-DEH-80PRS

If you know of another HU that competes with these, feel free to tell me.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

You end up getting seats for it? Im currently building a 1986 c20 suburban, from my understanding anything from like 83-1999 from gm full size will bolt right in with little to no modifications. I bought a set of blazer seats at a junk yard, went to pick them up and decided i didnt like them so i'm working on getting some newer body style full size silverado seats.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Okay I'm really beginning to lean towards a budget SQ type build, and I've been looking at pro audio.

I would like to continue to use my G4500, but upgrade to a better HU with more tuning options.

I found this, and I'm wondering, is this any good? 100db sensitivity for 60$ each?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45793_Massive-Audio-M6B.html

Then there's DD, I know they don't really hype up their product.

http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/voice-optimized/vo-m65

If pro audio is too complex, I'll go HA Mirus.

I know I have to get the crossovers correct to use pro audio, but is there anything else?

Here's my latest build.

Well I dun did sumtin stupid today, POS scissor handle broke in my hand and the metal inside the handle got me.

Problem!

IMG_0078_zpsf2b50bb6.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsaa90e8ec.jpg

IMG_0080_zps4fe11b98.jpg

Solved!

IMG_0081_zpsad31ce70.jpg

I also solved my battery problem, swapped out the virtually unused bat in the van and borrowed the neighbors charger.

The terminals barely fit under the hood, but it still dropped in and bolted down, though my full tilt voltage is less :shrug:

IMG_0071_zps5bae6059.jpg

Also the addition of both the straps and vinyl has moved to box farther forward, so now the surrounds rub.

IMG_0069_zps271121f5.jpg

Not pretty, but a lot of action goes on down there, and I never see it anyway.

IMG_0070_zps47bfcf65.jpg

The gash everyone can see.

IMG_0067_zpsd5f18992.jpg

IMG_0068_zps653dd8d6.jpg

"And today's pollen count is YOU BETTER NOT BE ALLERGIC!" Lolz it's not even halfway done yet there's more to come!

IMG_0065_zps6d585d09.jpg

IMG_0066_zpsc349223b.jpg

IMG_0064_zps4a04fdd8.jpg

So that was a little update, not much interesting is going on. 'Cept for my hand, that was a surprise for me, I never suspected I'd get cut.

*edit you think I'll have to remove these pics of my hand? Too graphic?

Here's my latest build.

Okay so after some extended listening and messing with some test tracks I've determined that my subs do most of the output until I get below 27hz, then the port starts to pick up and it goes nuts until below 20hz.

When the port starts to load the sub closest to the driver side door moves almost twice as much and the inner sub.

So either my box loads weird or I'm down a coil, but on the notes above 30 ish they seem to move just as much as the other.

Also I'm losing a ton of output from the passenger door flopping around. When the output comes from the port the door flexes much harder and though it looks neat I want that door to be as heavy as a wall.

Also there is a bit of scratching or static coming from inside what seems like the box, and it only happens when the subs are playing, so either it's noise played by the amp or something is actually scratching inside or when it's bumping I'm getting some pretty rad noise going to the stock passenger b pillar speaker.

My two JL by9s don't sound very deep to me, not after messing around trying to get them to sound better. there was more depth when I had the Scosche HDs in the dash, it rounded the package better, but now it's kinda just loud. not that I'm getting any stereo separation with the TRs right next to each other but it seems lacking to me.

My G4500 is very powerful, it pushes the snot out of the TR6x9s, and they become much too loud and shrill, so I want to tone it down and have some very rich deep sound quality.

Also I've determined that my bass amp sucks balls. After thinking about it my circuit breaker should trip if I draw more than 100a at 13v or so, but It's never tripped, ever. So I might have an honest dynamic 1400w rms. So yeah, I'm really bummed out now.

I've also found that my subs are like mashing the seat, not just rubbing a little, they are physically pushing the seat.

So my whole system is now not good enough, and a rebuild is bound to happen when I get an idea of what sub stage I want.

So I'm now in the process of plotting how the new box and subs will be laid out, and I'm wanting a flat, balanced response across the whole board, a SQ setup with a substage that can play very nicely when it's turned down and it goes HULK SMASH when I put to power down.

Box ideas? The driver doesn't matter as much to me anymore, I want real performance, and real equipment, screw the power acoustik BS.

So here's my thoughts on the future of the truck, my whole game plan.

Deaden and ployfill everything in the truck, make it all solid and stop every possible rattle.

New single HO (250-270)alternator and at least one XS bat added under the hood, likely two in addition to a 'normal' battery I can isolate so I can play without sucking gas.

Hybrid Audio Mirus or Imagine series in the factory B pillars running of the HU for reduced, casual listening if I so choose.

Add Hybrid Audio Imagine components to the doors and factory dash mount , and have my tweeters in a flat spot on the doors angled right at the driver/passenger.

Run the midbass drivers off the G4500 and run the tweeters on the RF 100Z3 so it's easy to adjust the brightness.

I likely will use a Digital Designs X-1 Signal processor to send the amps their intended notes.

I also want remote locks with a key fob and a modern security system so it is less likely that someone will break in, because there's bound to be some POS that will use the forum to rob people.

Also window tint and some LEDs, and various plasti-dipped parts.

I also want to relocate the radio to the cubby hole right by the steering wheel so I don't have to lean over the change songs, and it looks cooler to have something custom.

I have no solid plans for the box, that's all still up in the air, so I might just go with your idea if you have one.

Thanks guys for all your compliments and sharing your tips, I honestly appreciate it.

Here's my latest build.

Archived