MSD Ignition - What it does, How it helps / differs from an ignition system that's not high performance?

Hi guys, well I'm wondering what exactly a MSD Ignition system does that a plain jane ignition system wouldn't do. I was told by my automotive technician teacher in class that basically it will use more volts than needed to start up the car, and that it would maybe idle a bit higher and cleaner, but not much else. :P

I'm not really very smart about something like this, I really have no background and haven't looked into it much at all. I just got my car back from a shop with new rims and tires, new rear end, new gears, new brakes, and new control arms, to find out that my ignition was stolen when we popped the hood.. so I'm just wondering if and when we get it back from the dick who stole it, if it's even worth putting back on the car or if it'd be better to maybe just resell it or something?

Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit

Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck)

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

without getting into too much fine detail:

MSD or other HO ignitions potentially supply a better spark to your compressed air fuel to provide a more complete burn resulting in more theoretical power. There are too many factors to say just ho much better but it better used to compliment an engine with other performance mods.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

So it's probably in my best interest to get it back and use it, cause I do plan on doing more engine upgrades as I get older. Thanks guys, that was really simple lol! :)

Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit

Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck)

(1) DC XL 15

(2) SQ q1-1200d

(2) Crescendo PWX-6's.

(more to come someday.)

• 2 weeks later...

pending car it may or may not help. it all depends on the stock ignition setup and what your goals are. some cars have a nice ignition that is capable to handle a good amount of added power/fuel flow.

to keep good mpg ratings a lot of manufactures are designing better ignition systems from the factory to burn more fuel. which also means that the stock ignition on a lot of cars will be good for a higher performance then some of the older stock systems.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived