California Emissions Question

Hopefully someone can answer this. My car was built without California Emissions, and is considered "grey market" by smog shops because I bought it out of state while in the military. They won't smog it, and I have to go to a referee station to get it done, not a problem, they passed me easily.

Now, I should be able to add modifications that aren't Cali legal since the car never was anyway, right? Im looking at a Livernois short block, intake and exhaust will not meet California emissions rules, but it will pass the sniffer.

CAM000321.jpg

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

The smog shops just don't want the legal liability I guess. The referee station is actually at a community college (the shop for the auto tech course LOL), they do the sniffer test and check for cats, thats it. They don't check all the other Cali stuff like the air intake box etc.

Gonna call them tomorrow, but it was on my mind and just thought id ask here.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

i have the same but ford fusion i got my out of state was also military but here in fresno any shop will smog mine but its 2012, also with thr aftermarket it still has to meet ca requirements if the car is registered in ca. it may pass smog but if its ever pulled over and the cop finds out its no ca legal then you can still be in trouble. so as long as the car still has ca plates then any aftermarket parts have to be ca legal

i have the same but ford fusion i got my out of state was also military but here in fresno any shop will smog mine but its 2012, also with thr aftermarket it still has to meet ca requirements if the car is registered in ca. it may pass smog but if its ever pulled over and the cop finds out its no ca legal then you can still be in trouble. so as long as the car still has ca plates then any aftermarket parts have to be ca legal

Makes sense, thanks for the input.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

not on the fusion, but on my street bike I had a full system I had done in Louisiana but I got busted here, so I asked what was the rules on it for cars since I had the fusion, and they said even if car was not bought here, if it is registered here and has ca plates all mods have to be ca legal. includes looks and performance.

Pretty sure if it is registered in Cali it has to meet Cali emissions laws. Im pretty sure now that you have been " ref'd " it will be like this for the remainder of the cars life unless you sell it

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Archived