center channel opinions

bmxer13

Hey guys I'm in the process of building a sq system for my car. Looking through some build logs I noticed people using a center channel speaker for a surround sound effect. An was wondering what your guys opinions are on them and what I should look for in a center channel speaker thanks

I'm a fan, but it is really because I like having an excuse to add more speakers.

I used to just stick one up there and run it bridged "mono" if you will. But- that really doesn't work Then you have to attenuate it with resistors or an L-Pad or bla bla bla. In my wife's Trailblazer, it actually has a proper 5.1 Dolby DTS processor that runs the center like it should- and it is cool. But the application is for watching DVDs.

I have one in my Van too- but like I said, that is more for having an excuse to add more speakers. Right now it is getting signal from an older Harman-Kardon processor designed by Jim Fosgate. Actually designed for 5.1, but it does it the old school analog way... which is fun. It came with a switching means, so I can turn it on and off.

I say just try it different ways and see what you like. Having it defeatable is a good way to go too. Because not all stuff sounds good that way. CableGuy needs to chime in because he has done proper SQ with and without a center channel. My opinion: if you are doing it for fun, then knock yourself out by trying different things and have fun with it. BUT- if you are doing it for proper SQ, for competitions.... you don't need a center channel unless it is specifically for 5.1 (DVD) source material.

Fun topic though. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

If you plan to go "True SQ" ... Then I would not recommend using a center channel. Work with placement with your front left and right channels ...

Now if you plan to go with 5.1 setup in your ride ... Make sure you have a headunit with a dedicated center channel output, nice well built full range mono channel capable amplifier, and a GOOD 5.25" driver or a 6" driver with plenty of breathing room for that rich dynamic sound you should hear from a center channel ...

Best of luck with your build !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

This thread reminds me of that Panasonic unit with the little centre channel flip out speaker built in they came out with years ago.

h133DVR909open_1.jpeg

I think it had to be used in conjunction with a flip out DVD player but still cool nonetheless.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

^ I still think about those every once in a while. Even then when they came out- I was like, oh no that will never do. That speaker is Way too small! :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

You can enjoy surround sound without music encoded in 5.1. I'm most familiar with this using the JBL MS-8 processor, but Alpine H800 does similar upmixing with a 2-channel stereo input. There may be other processors that can do this, but these two have the best signal processing algorithms to do that job.

Let's say you get an MS-8, now what? Do you need a center channel? The main benefit is great sound for more than one person, as you can select different seating positions to change the focus of the sound. Two seat sound quality competitors could benefit from this, and good resutls with this kind of processing are less dependent on equidistant speaker placement.

You do want to have the largest speaker you can fit as your center channel. The reason for this was explained above.

Archived