1990 Corvette Speaker Replacement??

OrionStang

Buddy of mine wants to get better sound from the car. It had a low end Alpine HU in it when he bought it. I am not sure if it runs directly to the speakers, or if it is actually utilizing the Bose amps these cars came with. Chevy thought it would be a good idea to place a small amp at each speaker location (mid and tweeter in each footwell, looks to be a 6.5 in each rear corner of the trunk).

Has anybody ever worked on one of these? Did you bypass the factory amps? WHat speakers did you use?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

In 90 the Bose was still an option that wasn't really picked up. If you can pull the deck see if the amp interface module is there. If not it came with a standard deck, no amp.

If that's the case a deck and 4 speakers will do it.

4x6 in the kicks 6x9 in the rear.

In my 95' I had a boston .3 in it and sounded clean.

What's the budget?

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I had an 89 ZR1 (yes, they didn't make the zr1 until 1990, but I had 1 of the 13 given to GM execs), and I bypassed the factory amps and used some Boston Acoustics components. This was when I was 17, so well over a decade ago...A bit foggy on the details, but I remember it took me a solid 3 days, as getting the harness figured out was a pita, but I eventually did.

I seem to remember something under the passenger dash where I had to make the speaker connections from the h/u to the factory wiring.

However, being my particular car was pre-production, that might not be the case.

I'll stew on it and post if I can recall any additional details.

Good luck, those cars are a pita to work on...

Well, I guess the first thing is to determine if it has the Bose or not. I wish he was more stereo smart, I want to help him out, but Im not doing an install on this thing. Ill pull a rear speaker next time I see him and see if its amped.

Budget will be determined once he knows what he needs. Im thinking $500 or less (his tax return LOL). He does not want to add an amp, just get better speakers run off the deck. Again, its not mine. Hands are tied.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Archived