Searching for non ofc power wire

Welding cable? I think it to is ofc though. I've never seen advertised regular copper cable that is stranded. Maybe some stuff they have at lowes/home depot in the electrical isle, but they have high prices on that even.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

But your raising a moot point. Money isn't that big of a thing. It's not like you can get 1/0 welding wire for $1/ft and 1/0 ofc or cca for $5/ft (although they're actually different sizes). Prices are too similar. If you're just doing 1 run of 1/0, going with welding wire, you'd save what? Maybe $10... at that's pushing it. Like seriously. Sometimes, cca wire is cheaper than welding wire. It's all about where you can find it and the going rate. I don't really see ofc/cca wire change as prices, but I've seen welding wire change.

Lowest I have ever seen 1/0 welding wire is like $3.31 a foot. Something near that.

http://skyhighcaraudio.net/details#cid=292426

1/0 ofc is $3.64. So you'd save 31 cents a foot, and for a small, pretty much unnoticeable difference. That's why the saying is... "if you can find it cheap, get it."

And also, should include shipping. Idk of many places that'd ship welding wire for free. If any at all. Sky high does free shipping so it is $3.64 a foot... not 3.64 plus shipping.

But... that's how I see it. We're all different.

Sheena = pedobear

I've seen it all now for car audio purposes you don't get any cheaper than cca. There's more t the wire than the copper content

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I heard that shca wire, and a few other brands, actually oversize their wire too. I get what you're saying. Shca seems to be the best option for me. I was just curious on the whole ofc thing going on in car audio. Doesn't really seem like there's anything else to choose from besides welding wire.

Well flexibility of the wire is one. Typically a higher strand count will be more flexible. Jacket thickness and make up is another. Alot of the cheaper wire has a thinner jacket that is less resistance to nicks and abrasions etc. Or it will be the opposite more jacket less wire. Remember that a vehicle is a dynamic place with moving parts etc and there may be a chance that a live wire can get caught or rubbed or nicked leading to damage and you want to be able to protect against that. Look at the wire that is sold by ce auto electric it's more expensive because it's a higher grade and more rugged because it's uses by the off road guys. Don't base your wire choices on the content of copper alone.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

And for the record. You will be hard pressed to cut any costs in your wiring department. If you want a higher end technical explanation I can try to swing Tony through here

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

And for the record. You will be hard pressed to cut any costs in your wiring department. If you want a higher end technical explanation I can try to swing Tony through here

Basically that's all I was trying to figure out. How to save a little money.

But yes, if you can get a technical explanation as to why ofc is superior or beneficial(not in comparison to cca, because obviously copper conducts better) that would be awesome. I really don't think it's necessary in car audio, but I'm willing to listen

What wiring are you considering as an alternative? It might be easier to help you if you are looking at a certain type of wire

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Archived