Second Skin Audio

Choosing an SQL subwoofer for a sealed box.

ahl395

An SSA Icon or Xcon will sound really good in a sealed box (on the bigger size).

I tried them both in sealed enclosures, and in ported ones. My personal taste : ported, because of the increased outpup :)

I found the Icon was a nice sounding sub, but the Xcon has more punch.

Fi Q or AA Havoc are on the same level.

All of those are good choices on that amp. Don't be afraid. You can always turn the amp down if you feel ther is too much power !

Honnestly, I can tell you I'd rather get an SSA sub, just because of their customer service. They all will ask you to wait for a month, as they're built in the same factory in Vegas.

you do know Fi builds SSA subs right?

Reading most of these posts it really looks like most of the subs that are being named are more for ported applications, not sealed. For SQ, as long as you take your time with the car, and the box, you can get a totally flat response out of almost anything in a ported enclosure. 90% of the work on an SQ setup is enclosure when it comes to subs. If you're looking for a good SQ sub that is going to handle 2000 watts sealed, I'm not sure that you'll find one. Most of the time, especially "in car" you dont need to run that much to one sub to get a flat response, especially if you're not running at least that much to your interior speakers. Get something like WinISD and play around with box design on the subs you're looking at, and look at the response curves. You'll get a pretty good idea of what the sub will do. The best way to get flat response is to take a sub, put it where you're going to build your sub stage, and play it in car to measure your peaks and valleys on frequency response. Then you can tune the box accordingly to get it flat.

Well even with a flat response, isn't it true that a sealed box will still be more punchy and fast paced to handle quick bass notes in rock better?

I will take a look at some of these subs in ported boxes. The other thing I realized also is that I can run my amp at 1600W at 2ohms. So if I go for the Fi Q I'll run it that way.

Actually it really depends on how you design the box. Ported boxes actually have a higher internal air pressure than sealed. Then you start getting into standing waves in either box, how the sub is facing, etc. The reason I suggested putting a sub in there and testing response is because every car has different peaks and dead spots when it comes to frequency range. How a speaker sounds in my car is going to be way different than if you put it in yours, and thats part of what makes car audio fun. I've seen a single 10 on 300 watts outpreform 2 15s on 600 watts just due to box design. You can make a 30$ sub sound like a 300$ sub if you just build it right.

The most efficient and sonicly perfect box would be a half wave T line. One 8 in a half wave on 1000 watts would be astounding.

Reading most of these posts it really looks like most of the subs that are being named are more for ported applications, not sealed. For SQ, as long as you take your time with the car, and the box, you can get a totally flat response out of almost anything in a ported enclosure. 90% of the work on an SQ setup is enclosure when it comes to subs. If you're looking for a good SQ sub that is going to handle 2000 watts sealed, I'm not sure that you'll find one. Most of the time, especially "in car" you dont need to run that much to one sub to get a flat response, especially if you're not running at least that much to your interior speakers. Get something like WinISD and play around with box design on the subs you're looking at, and look at the response curves. You'll get a pretty good idea of what the sub will do. The best way to get flat response is to take a sub, put it where you're going to build your sub stage, and play it in car to measure your peaks and valleys on frequency response. Then you can tune the box accordingly to get it flat.

Well even with a flat response, isn't it true that a sealed box will still be more punchy and fast paced to handle quick bass notes in rock better?

I will take a look at some of these subs in ported boxes. The other thing I realized also is that I can run my amp at 1600W at 2ohms. So if I go for the Fi Q I'll run it that way.

Actually it really depends on how you design the box. Ported boxes actually have a higher internal air pressure than sealed. Then you start getting into standing waves in either box, how the sub is facing, etc. The reason I suggested putting a sub in there and testing response is because every car has different peaks and dead spots when it comes to frequency range. How a speaker sounds in my car is going to be way different than if you put it in yours, and thats part of what makes car audio fun. I've seen a single 10 on 300 watts outpreform 2 15s on 600 watts just due to box design. You can make a 30$ sub sound like a 300$ sub if you just build it right.

The most efficient and sonicly perfect box would be a half wave T line. One 8 in a half wave on 1000 watts would be astounding.

Ah okay, wow, I didn't know how much it could be affected by the car itself.

I think I'll try a sealed box first and if the output isnt high enough, Ill throw it in a ported.

I think I'm going to go with a fully loaded Fi Q 12". Now the question is to run it off my amp at 1 ohm @ 2000W with the gains set low, or at 2 ohms @ 1600W. I plan to get the Cooling option which they say adds 200-500W of capacity.

An SSA Icon or Xcon will sound really good in a sealed box (on the bigger size).

I tried them both in sealed enclosures, and in ported ones. My personal taste : ported, because of the increased outpup :)

I found the Icon was a nice sounding sub, but the Xcon has more punch.

Fi Q or AA Havoc are on the same level.

All of those are good choices on that amp. Don't be afraid. You can always turn the amp down if you feel ther is too much power !

Honnestly, I can tell you I'd rather get an SSA sub, just because of their customer service. They all will ask you to wait for a month, as they're built in the same factory in Vegas.

you do know Fi builds SSA subs right?

For sure, I know they are all built in Las Vegas, in the same factory ! But I know the SSA customer service is top notch. They answer all my emails, even on sundays :)

Fi : hard to talk with them. I have bought from them both several times.

Being overseas makes it difficult to buy from Fi, but not impossible ;)

With a 2000 watts amp, you'll run a Fi Q easily, or an Xcon. It may be a bit too much for an Icon, but doable.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Yes the older ones have XBL^2. There is actually some AA avalanches on ebay right now

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Archived