Sonic Electronix

question about SMD DD-1

Just want to know, is the dd-1 any good when using in a car that only has one amp for a subwoofer but speakers powered by the HU?

i ask since i guess that the speaker are gonna be distorting before than the signal sent through the rca's or am i wrong here?

or can i use the DD-1 to find the max volumen as well through the speaker wires?

.[desk0].

Just ran into this with a buddy. He's running a stock head unit with no way to cross over his door speakers. Dd 1ed his sa-8's and they sound badass but without being able to stop the lows to his doors , they sound like ass. Researched and found the have bass blockers you put on the positive of your door speakers to cut out the lows , but I've never used them and don't know that much about them.

In my experience Bass Blockers are nothing more than a 1st order high-pass filter (series connected capacitor). If you aren't able to high-pass your door speakers then the next best thing to do IMO is make a 2nd order (12dB/octave) high-pass filter yourself @ 80Hz to 100Hz. Google "crossover calculator" so you can plug in some values to determine which components (cap & inductor) you'll need.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

In my experience Bass Blockers are nothing more than a 1st order high-pass filter (series connected capacitor). If you aren't able to high-pass your door speakers then the next best thing to do IMO is make a 2nd order (12dB/octave) high-pass filter yourself @ 80Hz to 100Hz. Google "crossover calculator" so you can plug in some values to determine which components (cap & inductor) you'll need.

Thanks good info.

Dissconnect subs, so all you hear is the doors.

Roll volume up to where you "think the doors sound good".

Recall vol number.

DD1 the sub amp, at THAT number. You may have to use the -10 or -15 track to get any volume

(im going to assume your distorted number on the deck will be lower than normal, due to the door speakers sounding "like shit" at the higher)

You could try it.

Then, never pass said vol number till you get a 4 chan amp.

:shrug:

I would listen to kylar sounds like the way to go till u get a 4 ch

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

It may "work" for now.

The thing is, is every other song will be different. So, at the song you tuned at, the doors will keep their "shape".

Swap to a different song, you may be over, or under. :shrug:

But, its something the op could try.... If you know your gears limits, and you dont over shoot your expectations, you can make it work, and work fine. :)

Play the music your gear wants to play/can handle ..... :shrug:

Recall vol number.

DD1 the sub amp, at THAT number. You may have to use the -10 or -15 track to get any volume

(im going to assume your distorted number on the deck will be lower than normal, due to the door speakers sounding "like shit" at the higher)

You could try it.

something like that is what i was thinking on doing, but as you stated below, different songs would vary as well, but my main concern was if it was worth to tune amp for the sub at a very low volume with the dd-1.

because if i'm right to get the 4v from the output of the HU it has to be at some high volume right?. and i think that is kinda necessary for the dd-1 to adjust the gain. or since i would have to play at low volume because of the speakers it would be better so i can hear the speakers along with the sub?

.[desk0].

Recall vol number.

You could try it.

something like that is what i was thinking on doing, but as you stated below, different songs would vary as well, but my main concern was if it was worth to tune amp for the sub at a very low volume with the dd-1.

because if i'm right to get the 4v from the output of the HU it has to be at some high volume right?. and i think that is kinda necessary for the dd-1 to adjust the gain. or since i would have to play at low volume because of the speakers it would be better so i can hear the speakers along with the sub?

The dd1 will set your gains no matter what your preamp voltage is.

Archived