Sundown Audio

4ch amp with different loads?

bassman619

I have a 4ch amp thats stable at 4 and 2 ohms..is it possible to connect 2 speakers with 2 ohm impedance to 2 channels and 2 speakers with 4 ohm impeadance to the other 2 channels at the same time? Or is this gonna completely screw up n burn everything or what? ..I dnt want to burn this amp cuz its not cheap at all.

You need trunk space to get groceries and shit...bitches love groceries

usually a 4 chan has sep gains for 1-2 and 3-4. So ive always ran em like that. speakers on 1/2 and subs on 3/4 for example. Ive never ran different things on all 4 channels.. it should be fine for the amp to have say 4 different loads on all 4 channels, but you only have control over 2 really.

because theres a gain and filters for 1/2

another gain and filters for 3/4

so as long as w.e settings work for w.e loads are attached to 1/2 it wouldnt matter.

You could say take a set of 4ohm coaxials in the front [one in each door] and parallel them into a 2 ohm load on chan 1

another set of say 8ohm 6x9s one in each door paralleled to 4ohm on chan 2

But by combining the left and right speakers onto one channel you loose the separation, some music really benefits from l to r sound effects and its nice. but now amp is set up so the front L speakers on the amp are actually both front speakers in the car. The front right speakers are actually both rear speakers. So you could get some wierd effects.

It works because both sets would use the same filters and thats ok. You wouldnt be able to run tweeters for example because theyd need a different setting. Or if you have a passive bass blocker or the xover will filter out the appropriate freq then itd be fine.

You could put another pair of mids on chan 3

and you could put a sub on 4 but again youd need some kind of filter...

So as you can see itd prolly work amp wise, but because of the filtering, the speakers wouldnt like it. Or youd have to use the same type of speakers and even if you do itd have strange side effects basically.

This is the long way of saying most ppl dont do this.

You usually have 1/2 as Front or Subs or Rears or w.e 1/2 do the same thing is the same place. Most people use the same speakers. chan 1 front left. channel 2 front right or rear or w.e.

Chan 3/4 as either rear speakers or another set of speaker where ever. or subs

Im sure im being confusing. lol

Its just yes its 4 channels, but more like two halves each with a left and right. Or you can bridge 1/2 and 3/4 and basically make it a higher power 2 chan amp with sep filters for each.

I have mine right now chan 1/2 powering my components in the front. High passed at 100hz.

Rear is bridged at 4ohm powering my test sub low passed at 100hz

I hope that makes any sense at all

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Short answer, yes it's perfectly fine. My front channels are a 2ohm load. And my rear channels are a 4ohm load.

truthsayer

Archived