Second Skin Audio

Please Help. DAD KMH 12's

Jon Tyler

The DD-1 is a must bc you can't set gains by ear, yes ppl have done it and got away with it. If the sundown amp comes with a clipping knob then go by that instead of the DD-1

I love my mine tho but that's your choice man. A lot of ppl use the clipping knob and have no issues

Im going to have to politely disagree with this.

The DD-1 us a fantastic tool for hassle-free gain setting but saying it cannot be done by ear is incorrect. I know a lot of guys that have been in the game long enough to get pretty close by ear. For me, I find larger amplifier to be simpler to set. Usually they have just a click ehere it gets a ton louder and then afterwards any increase in volume when turning up the gain is minimal. Thats where I aim for. Hopefully that made sense to someone else but me.. haha

But because OP is a beginner, id highly recommend a dd-1, o-scope, or someone who knows their shit to set gains :)

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

It depends how into audio he is. I know a lot of people in my every day life that I'm the crazy audio guy and their jl500 and little 75x4 is a crazy loud system.

OP if really anticipate on making audio a big hobby then go for the 2500 and the bd subs and find a dd1 / cc1 or someone to help you set it all up. There are tons of guys around the USA on this site and chances are there is one less then 6 hours drive from you.

If your not a bass head and you just want a nice audio system, then go kmh and a nice sundown 1500 v3... Again use people's help on proper set up and enjoy.

Future planning is important, also if you get the 1500 then plan on 600 dollars or more in electrical costs. If you get the 2500, then plan more along the lines of $1100 in electrical costs. When I started on this site I thought for sure I was going to wall off a honda civic with 4 Xcon 15's and 2 crescendo 3500's.... I ended up going into decent powered trunk builds and now I'm moving into the higher power trunk builds. My point is, just think long and hard before you spend money, and think of all the extra costs a quality system will be. Don't just look at the price of subs and bass amps. Your gonna want a crap ton of quality deadener. Your gonna need electrical upgrades. A nice headunit with a nice EQ is always good. Nice components are great when you actually enjoy your music. And components don't shine until you put them on a good multi channel amp.

Suddenly you have a grand in electrical. 300 in deadener. 200 in a headunit. 250 in components. 300 in other wires. 200-500 into a custom built enclosure, 500+ into a pair of subs, 600+ into a bass amp, and a BUNCH of man hours. And that's just for a nice trunk build. Not to mention the learning curve of audio. Doing everything right the first time. And even when you do all that you still gotta set the headunit and gains / filters up properly.

Just putting some stuff in perspective. Best of luck man and if your open minded there are a ton of people on this site willing to help your system come true.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

You can set the gains by ear, you can hear when the wave changes sort of. Go til you hear the difference then back it down a bit. The problems are that in my experience good amps don't just all of the sudden square wave, but rather get "fuzzy at the peaks. You can't really hear it at first. The other problem is I like to overpower my stuff so running double rated power with a -5db test tone for a couple minutes and turn it up to clipping is just asking for trouble. I use an o-scope to set everything. But if I didn't have one I would have bought a dd-1 the first time I heard about it. I still may pretty soon

You can also set the gains with a volt meter, at least I think. At clipping your voltage stops go in up so you could check it that way but again, it checks voltage not distortion. So you won't know if its clipping, fuzzy or if you are right where you need to be.

I like to have head room with the power I have on tap with my amplifiers, the Sundown 2500D is fine IMO.

I understand headroom.. Ive always had a generous amount.. but 2.5x rms, for who Im assuming is a beginner? Meh

yea, this will be my first build, thats why i want to make sure that head room doesn't end up being the demise of my subs lol

Jon Funda

Car audio Enthusiast and Still learning

Ragnarok Scenario Player, Youngblood #111

I like to have head room with the power I have on tap with my amplifiers, the Sundown 2500D is fine IMO.

I understand headroom.. Ive always had a generous amount.. but 2.5x rms, for who Im assuming is a beginner? Meh

yea, this will be my first build, thats why i want to make sure that head room doesn't end up being the demise of my subs lol

First build? yeah either get the BDs or a smaller amp.

You can cook a sub with a relatively low power amplifier either way, go for the Sundown 2500D, properly setup it won't damage your subs, and you will avoid upgrading amp later.

This is why the DD-1 is a must right here.

Yes or a scope, just trying to point out that it's not like the big amp or it's headroom is going to kill the subs and a smaller will not.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone for the device. seeing as I'm new to setting gains, the dd-1 will be part of the purchase, right now I'm going through costs on electrical, deadening and some other fun stuff, this is going to be fun when i get around to it, hopefully ill start it and have it done in the summer, seeing as it will be when the money flows in for me :)

Jon Funda

Car audio Enthusiast and Still learning

Ragnarok Scenario Player, Youngblood #111

Archived