2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

Like as in port area? Yes it can. The woofer will act as though it is in an infinite baffle arangment if the port is too big.

What?

Edit: As in explain please.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Like as in port area? Yes it can. The woofer will act as though it is in an infinite baffle arangment if the port is too big.

What?

Edit: As in explain please.

Yeah, I kinda want to understand this too.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

I have seen many reputable people suggest a port velocity of 10m/s to even 5m/s.

But seeing as how an infinite baffle is supposed to isolate the front and back waves while reducing the acoustic suspension. I don't see how a port that is too large can create one.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Does that mean that the port acts like a hole in the box more than a port, or does that mean the sub can bottom out much easier?

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors

Next

I always thought of a huge port making the sub seem "free air". I know nothing of IB but the waves would be separated and theres no port.. right? A huge port would keep the sub from building pressure. No pressure means no port velocity which means no output.. not to mention the subs dont like free air at all..

At least thatd be my take on it..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Does that mean that the port acts like a hole in the box more than a port, or does that mean the sub can bottom out much easier?

I think you could make the argument that if a port was too big the woofer would act as if it was in an OPEN baffle arrangement, not an INFINITE baffle. In both an infinite and open baffle arrangements the enclosure (or lack there of) doesn't provide any control to cone movement so you can bottom out much easier. The difference between the two is a infinite baffle prevents any of the back-wave from getting to the listening area, an open baffle doesn't do that.

As far as the original question about can ports be too big, I have my own thoughts on this but I'd like to see what other folks say.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I think you could make the argument that if a port was too big the woofer would act as if it was in an OPEN baffle arrangement, not an INFINITE baffle. In both an infinite and open baffle arrangements the enclosure (or lack there of) doesn't provide any control to cone movement so you can bottom out much easier. The difference between the two is a infinite baffle prevents any of the back-wave from getting to the listening area, an open baffle doesn't do that.

As far as the original question about can ports be too big, I have my own thoughts on this but I'd like to see what other folks say.

You'd think that even if the port was too big, the sound waves would still vibrate like crazy in there. my only real reason in my head would be the bottoming out portion.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors

Next

As far as an open baffle assumption, there is still a whole lot more to it than I could believe that a large port could create one.

The only negative that I know about are that creating a large port you need to have a longer port length. As for the port length you should not exceed 1/12th the length of the wave you are tuning to as the air inside of the port no longer acts a single mass.

Edit: And the fact that most people in here are purely car audio and a large port takes up a large volume.

Archived