Second Skin Audio

Diffrences between 4th order and ported box

OK, based on my what I saw when I modeled your subs, with a 4th you can get about 4 db more than what you would get out of a ported box. But you will only get that increase for about 10 Hz above and below what you have the 4th tuned to. The ported box will be louder lower and will be a lot more musical than the 4th would be. The ported box will also be a LOT smaller.

Disclaimer: the numbers I gave you are only based on software models, what effect your vehicle has on the output is impossible for me to determine.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

For the record a ported box is 4th order, bandpass vs ported is what you are looking for.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

don't mean to Jack the thread but i have a question concerning this topic. as some of you know I'm planning a new build in a grand prix gt. i have a Lil over 7cubes of air space in the trunk. i was planning on building the box In the trunk porting threw the rear deck lid with 4 4inch flared aero ports with 2 meso 15s.

i was debating if i would be better off with 2 12s in a 4th order or the 2 15s in 7cubes. i love low low low bass, very musical.because i listen to all kinds of music..rap, rock, jam band stuff (sublime, JBT, Jack White) , dance music like dubstep, skriilex, pretty much everything but county and pop crap.

I'm not really going for dbs on the meter but a small hair trick Would be a plus!

each ct meso (either 12 or 15) is rated at 2000w rms and will have its own ct 1400.1

given the info i supplied what configuration would suit my needs best?

2 12s in a forth

2 15s 7+cubes tuned to 30hz 4 4inch ports?

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

For the record a ported box is 4th order, bandpass vs ported is what you are looking for.

I read through all of the replies hoping to see this one.

A 4th order is a bass reflex enclosure, or what we make reference to as a ported enclosure. A single reflex box bandpass is the 4th order you're likely speaking of.

They're both 4th order enclosures, one is a bass reflex, the other is your single reflex bandpass.

So to designate the correct meaning in the future, we need to refer to this as a 4th order bandpass enclosure to keep the two separate.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Ok so differences between 4th order bandpass and ported should of been topic for thread then. Mods change it if you can

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

I'm just posting this for knowledge want to learn more about 4th order bandpass vs ported boxes.

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

so it sounds like for my application ported is the way to go

because space is a factor.

Archived