chevy equinox oil consumption

As a former GM tech, this is all true. They won't do shit for you unless it's going through a set amount of oil per 1k. If it is still under warranty, have them do a consumption test on it. You MIGHT be able to have a good will fix. Otherwise you are shit out of luck. GM actually told us to stop warrantying those engines due to the timing chains fucking up and them not having any answers for people at the time. Also have huge problems with Malibu's of the same vintage needing valve jobs on the 4cyl's. The older v8's (4.3? Tahoe/Suburban) require a full rebuild for piston rings to stop oil consumption. Cars are junk. Take the advice of some people and sell it. Buy a Rav4 or a CRV.

On a side note, if you can, look up the TSB for the rear hatch lock actuator on the Malibu Maxx's. They actually say to tell the customer, if it is within a certain build period, that it is broken and there is nothing we can do about it.

i wonder along with switching brands if going to a heavier weight might help slow down the oil usage? does that car call for a 5w20 or 5w30 from factory?

All 2011 and up GM's require Dexo's approved oil.

Current: Two old school Orion HCCA 12's, No amp currently. Did run DAT Hellfire Prototype.

Old set up: Orion 2NT 15", Logic Soundlabs GSX32D,

i wonder along with switching brands if going to a heavier weight might help slow down the oil usage? does that car call for a 5w20 or 5w30 from factory?

Noooooo don't do that. Easier to top off oil here and there than to risk engine damage because the oil pump can't push enough of the heavier oil through.

In order to stress an oil pump to the point of not circulating I'd think you'd have to run some ridiculous viscosity. Like 20w50. And even then I'm sure the pump would still move it. The problem arises when the oil is too thick to fit the bearing tolerances (as far as I know anyway) bumping up a grade won't hurt anything. Guys do it all the time with old Hondas to stop consumption. Either way of it was shit from the factory it's not gonna get any better.

So you are saying you have so much faith in this you are willing to personally shell out for OP's engine if it goes south?

I find it interesting you can recommend this without even knowing what sort of temperatures OP is exposed to. Suppose he is in -20 weather. You'll fry his engine putting thicker stuff in there.

Oh... And in case you think I'm talking out my ass, I've tried the same thing on my car. Went to 10-40 up from 5-30. Sounded almost like a diesel when cold. And no I'm not exaggerating. I could turn my defrost on full and hear the engine loud and clear over that.

At work, we have jugs like these that we use for transporting synthetic oil between the storage drum and the car. There is a pretty significant difference in pour time between 5w20 and 5w30. 5w20 is closer to warm maple syrup in consistancy. 5w30 - like warm honey. If you cut down flow rate because of an increase in viscosity... Think about what happens

Also suppose that this car has a warranty.... You want him to void it because of something he read on the internet?

Oil consumption isn't necessarily a problem that you need to fix. Provided there are no underlying issues, I'd actually say it's expected. There are LOTS of moving parts in an engine. Lots of seals moving at high speed. Plus you have things like your PCV valve, which takes the blow by from your crank case and puts it back into the intake to be burned in combustion. A bit of oil comes with that too

Use the oil the manufacturer specifies. Check your level, top off as needed. If you have the pre-paid maintenance, they should top it off for you for free anyway

I simply said that from personal experience. Granted I don't drive that vehicle in particular, but my truck calls for 5w30, and I have run 10w40 in it for the last 5 years, year round, with no ill side effects what so ever, aside from gaining 5 psi cold oil pressure. I would assume from factory that car calls for 5w20 from factory, but do not know for sure. However, different motors, plus with those 2.4s having a lot of variable valve solenoids driven by oil pressure, plus being a small four culinder,I don't know what thicker oil would mess with and what it wouldn't. Worth a talk with a REPUTABLE mechanic that's dealt with these newer motors oil issues before, and how's it's fixed. I do know that the warranty fix, at least for the 5.3s is an engine overhaul with new pistons, rings, lifters and everything that goes along with replacing those.

As a former GM tech, this is all true. They won't do shit for you unless it's going through a set amount of oil per 1k. If it is still under warranty, have them do a consumption test on it. You MIGHT be able to have a good will fix. Otherwise you are shit out of luck. GM actually told us to stop warrantying those engines due to the timing chains fucking up and them not having any answers for people at the time. Also have huge problems with Malibu's of the same vintage needing valve jobs on the 4cyl's. The older v8's (4.3? Tahoe/Suburban) require a full rebuild for piston rings to stop oil consumption. Cars are junk. Take the advice of some people and sell it. Buy a Rav4 or a CRV.

On a side note, if you can, look up the TSB for the rear hatch lock actuator on the Malibu Maxx's. They actually say to tell the customer, if it is within a certain build period, that it is broken and there is nothing we can do about it.

We have extended warranty on the car until 120k miles. Next oil change I will tell them to do the test and push for the engine replacement.

We have extended warranty on the car until 120k miles. Next oil change I will tell them to do the test and push for the engine replacement.

Just letting you know in advance, they more than likely won't replace the engine. They will probably go the new chain route. When running have you noticed a very light tinny (not tiny) noise from the passenger side? That would indicate the need for the chains to be replaced which they stated was a cause of oil consumption. Also the front timing cover is an issue. I would push that it is investigated but don't expect for them to bend over backwards to help you. GM are real cunts about warrantying stuff like this. At least when I was at the GM dealership.

Current: Two old school Orion HCCA 12's, No amp currently. Did run DAT Hellfire Prototype.

Old set up: Orion 2NT 15", Logic Soundlabs GSX32D,

Dealership dependent, the people at mine talked my wife through/into.

Them: so the engine is sounding louder to you right? (wife only went in for an oil change)

Her: No?

them: No..... the engine is sounding louder to you..... rriiiiiiiight?

Her: Sure?

Them: Alright then, we're going to go ahead and set you up with a rental car while this is taken care of and blah blah blah....

I've had my bad dealings with stealerships before, but this one seems to be at least halfway decent.

Archived